1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Annual Christmas Party/ Bonus Thread: 2018 Edition

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Situation

Situation Member

What's happening this year?

2. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Same as it ever was, same as it ever was...

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We had a potluck lunch a couple of weeks ago. It's a longstanding tradition at our paper, but it's gotten sad as the staff has dwindled. We used to have, literally, about 40 feet worth of food set up on a long counter in the newsroom. This year, with about 15 people left working in the building, we filled a couple of 4-foot wide tables in the break room. Food was good, though.

On the positive side, we got an honest to God Christmas bonus -- an extra week's pay. That hits this week, and I still had a week of vacation to burn that I'm taking next week. First time in my adult working life I've had an actual Christmas vacation.

Bronco77, Tweener, Liut and 4 others like this.
  4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

You know, the people that run dying newspapers, the suits with the vacation homes and high salaries are truly despicable. Why? Because none of these "chains" do anything for their employees at Christmas except lay them off. If they don't lay you off, that's your Christmas gift. "Hey at least you have a job." I would like to commend the news editors and feature editors and sports editors who out of their own pockets hold parties or get togethers at restaurants to at least have something for the people on staff. I'm surprised the CEOs and upper suits haven't outlawed the middle suits from acknowledging their employees in any way at Christmas.
    The fact reporters and copy editors get nothing at Christmas is another reason being a newspaper employee is as low as one can go in the white collar world. Even in the glory days of newspapers, reporters and the little men and women got nothing at Christmastime. Very very sad. Despicable.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Fuckin suits

justgladtobehere likes this.
  6. Fredrick

I'm speechless that they gave you an extra week's pay. I'm guessing this is a smaller newspaper.

Bronco77 and Liut like this.
  7. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Highly accurate

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It is, but it's also a chain. Not sure why they do it (and not complaining), but it's baked into our pay structure. When I went on salary for a hot minute that was included as part of the total yearly compensation. When I've been hourly it just sort of pops up in the middle of December.

9. InTheKnow22

InTheKnow22 New Member

We got a bonus of one day's pay and we're having a holiday meal Thursday. Those who work on the holiday also will be fed.

10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

We got a choice between a pat on the back or "Best wishes for the new year."

(THANK YOU, JIM BOUTON)

Bronco77, Situation, Batman and 3 others like this.
  11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

12. Fredrick

It amazes me most of the larger chains provide nothing for their employees at Christmas. Funny, isn't it, how all these chains pay consultants to develop ridiculous edicts that force reporters and copy editors to perform all sorts of offensive tasks just to keep their jobs. Christmas comes around and you'd think one of these consultants would say it's wise to make an employee feel good once a year with some sort of bonus or some sort of significant party with food and drink. No. They don't give a rat's bleep about the little guy who gets nothing but intimidation.
    Hey suits, keep paying those consultants instead of your employees. They sure know how to save the business. Sure they do. But as long as you can intimidate reporters, have at it.

InTheKnow22 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted