1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

At least two AP sports writers laid off today

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Joedy's good people. This fucking sucks. And yes I know from experience.

maumann and Batman like this.
  2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

So do I. Damn straight it sucks.

Jesus_Muscatel and maumann like this.
  3. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

How rare (or how common) is it for The Associated Press to lay off anyone? How rare (or how common) is it for The Associated Press to lay off a sports reporter?

I think it laid off several entertainment reporters, including some who specialized in video, a few years ago after The AP thought increasing its entertainment coverage would lead to an improved bottom line, which it did not.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Sucks hugely. Been there. Including this week.

'Tis the season to get the books in order.

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Good luck.

MileHigh likes this.
  6. LanceyHoward

How many papers in the Gatehouse/Gannett chain still subscribe to AP. I would guess that Gatehouse papers would consider dropping AP and using USA Today or copy from other papers in the chain.

7. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

And that problem just reared its ugly head today -- Aaron wasn't at Chapel Hill when Wofford upset No. 17 North Carolina ... he was in Greensboro for the N.C. State-UNC Greensboro game (another good game, mind you, but still ...)

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

If GateHouse does buy AP, they'll drop USAT like a hot rock. I predicted they'll do that anyway. That's not off the table.

ADD: A number of GateHouse papers formerly owned by Stephens dropped AP in favor of McClatchy or WaPo prior to their purchase at the end of 2014. Other chains that were bought by GateHouse subscribed to AP copy but not the photo service.

It's a rat's nest considering how many of these papers no longer subscribe to AP and yet have their papers paginated by CND, which does use AP copy.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  9. LanceyHoward

I think the USA print edition is in the hospice. But I think that Gatehouse will keep much of the staff to provide material for their papers. I read Gatehouse already has about 50 ghost papers where there are only a couple of staffers. I think more are coming and Gatehouse will need copy.

It is cheaper to fire 20 or 30 high school reporters and then fill with a story from a national writer.

10. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

I've never heard of it ... but I did find something interesting on JournalismJobs.com -- it seems that AP is looking to add a staffer to cover the North Carolina legislature ... the post date is Dec. 10 ... coincidence?

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Associated Press Reporter

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It went Charlie Foxtrot in a hurry.

Aaron was in Greensboro working NCSU-UNC Greensboro men.
    Ken Tysiac, who has been staffing some NCSU women (now AP Top 10) and Carolina Hurricanes games, was at Reynolds working Elon-NCSU women.
    That left a big hole in Chapel Hill. Then Wofford popped Chapel Hill. Again. Oops.

Should have left Joedy alone, AP. Yes, there are stringers available. I know that Tysiac is unquestionably qualified and capable and I know BCK knows that, too. But even with Aaron and Tysiac, it left a big hole. Take a bow, AP. Was it worth it?

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Did Tysiac leave the AICPA or is he freelancing?

Draft saved Draft deleted