1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

At least two AP sports writers laid off today

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Dec 13, 2019.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

One in Iowa:

One in North Carolina:

2. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

Plus at least three Yahoo Sports writers: Mike Mazzeo, Wally Matthews, and Matt Ehalt.

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

That’s awful. I wonder if AP will hire sports data journalists to replace them.

studthug12 and HanSenSE like this.
  4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I'm sure they'll pull someone off the Iowa caucuses to cover the Hawkeyes or Cyclones.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    RonClements likes this.
  5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Not a problem!

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I don't think I've ever seen a swifter demise than Yahoo's.

7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Saw that. Part of the failed Mets "insider" subscription plan, I believe. Thing wasn't ready for the start of the 2019 season and I don't think it ever launched.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Losing Joedy will be a big blow in the Triangle. In case Aaron Beard weren't busy enough there ...

RonClements and maumann like this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've always been under the impression that newspaper layoffs in December were "a thing" because the papers had booked all the Christmas ads and throwing in a few layoffs in the last period only makes the bottom line look that much more impressive. But now with so many digital outlets doing the same thing, I've got nothing, other than closing out the books. It's a crappy thing to do at any time of the year - but when most companies are handing out bonuses - this industry continues to hand out pink slips. Back in the day, such businesses would be met with a "Bah Humbug" editorial and an A1 shaming.

Liut likes this.
  10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

You know that high-interest credit card is burning a hole in GannettHouse’s pocket. Think they might have a go at AP?

wicked likes this.
  11. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

A go at AP? Interesting but I think it is possible New Gannett will pull its papers out of the AP and operate it’s own “wire service” generating intrastate and national interest stories for its papers. I don’t know how much each paper pays to be an AP member but pulling it papers out is a quick way for New Gannett to show shareholders some $$$ savings.

12. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

That's fine for the major metros but for the majority of properties that are small-town dailies that have had its staff slashed and cover a mid-major the common refrain for road games is "let AP cover it." On the other hand, there's a clear disconnect between corporate New Gannett and the foot soldiers so I guess anything's possible.

Draft saved Draft deleted