1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When the Student Newspaper Goes Gatehouse

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by daytonadan1983, Dec 13, 2019.

1. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

My dilemma today, great and wise colleagues of this board

The student-run newspaper pdf pops in my inbox, and what do I see?

My recap from the Florida Classic victory, along with photos we provided, is the lead story.on the front.

So I call the adviser and quip "Did Gatehouse acquire you guys, too?"

Is it just me, or should STUDENTS be writing the stories for the STUDENT newspaper, especially the prominent ones.

I don't mind helping, but I'm not doing their job completely. Am I right?

I'll listen.

Liut likes this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Don't know if the typical high school journalism teacher (unless they were in the biz) would get the Gatehouse reference, but, yeah, the students need to be doing their own work AND taking their own photos.

Liut likes this.
  3. daytonadan1983

She used to work for Gatehouse before coming over to the University...

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Gotcha. Still ...

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know - seems to have mastered the "work smarter, not harder" edict.

6. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

I could understand this happening in extenuating circumstances.

Does the student paper typically travel with the team? Or was this a home tournament? Was it during finals week? Have the students left yet for winter break?

The latter two are probably more important questions. I could understand, to a point, if students were unavailable to cover something because of finals week or winter break starting.

Otherwise they should be there. What's the point of a student newspaper other than to give them experience reporting on news/events?

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Trying to remember back to my student days, but I think we would run copy from the sports department - properly marked and credited - on the front of that section if it warranted it. We printed four times a week though, so we relied way more on wire than plenty of other student publications. If they're a weekly, they should be able to put it together without using news releases and what not, unless they have an exceptionally small staff.

8. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Isn’t the point of the student paper to get students some experience and learn to, you know, write and shoot photos? WTF.

9. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Well, student editors are learning what to do when you have 30 inches to fill with five minutes until deadline because the reporter came back with nothing.

You can’t hit rock bottom early enough, I always say.

sgreenwell and Slacker like this.
  10. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

What was her response?

11. daytonadan1983

Tried to justifed the game being in Orlando and no one had a way to get there...OK, sure

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted