1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Getting out of the business" resource thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by playthrough, Aug 2, 2008.

1. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Congrats on a renewed life.

For those who could find it useful, what was your job search process like? Were particular sites more useful? How did you pitch yourself in your resume/cover letter? Did you have a network to lean on for unadvertised jobs?

Fredrick likes this.
  2. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Thanks SoloFlyer, to answer some of your questions, I think it's easy for people to get caught up in well I am in newspapers so my skillset only applies to other papers and what I've learned etc. But, you conduct interviews, communicate, make budgets, work across platforms, post and probably are admins for FB so it gives you a wide-ranging skillset that I most definitely pitched on my resume. The amount of things expected from reporters to get done on a daily basis outside of writing is immense. I would recommend talking about the diversity of your skills and wealth of experience in a wide variety of topics is key.

I work with a staff of 10 and eight of us have at least experience and I'd say at least six have the vast majority of employment background in newspapers. The skills translate, don't pigeon-hole yourself. Indeed.com is good and I also used journalismjobs.com because it provides communication jobs not just journalist jobs.

Also I would recommend going back and looking at contacts. I worked and knew in passing a couple I work with now. My job search process was long and arduous but I will say plenty of places respect and appreciate the wide-ranging skills of journalists. Market yourself as a Swiss-army knife do-it-all who can interview and work with pretty much anyone.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I am thisclose to giving two weeks. I have nothing lined up. I keep getting passed over for lateral moves that would make my life a helluva lot better. I feel like no one respects my work. I also feel like I do a good job. People (not the ones who do hiring/firing) tell me this.

I’m not cut out for this business anymore.

I don’t want pity, but I’m frustrated.

Driftwood likes this.
  4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Totally understand. Have you explored higher-ed gigs? I'm coming up on three years in communications at a state university. Not going to say it's more exciting than my previous life, but it's a helluva lot more stable. And my department recently hired two other guys who used to work in sports at newspapers, so there are people out there who recognize how good our skill sets are.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I've been looking for about a year because our station was in the process of being sold. And sales never go well. The sale went through in September. I got tapped on the shoulder with a layoff on Monday. At least my (frustrating) job search has already been underway.

6. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Heart goes out to everyone, find myself checking this thread more and more often. Was sent a text this morning that our managing editor from an hour away is coming to town for a 10 a.m. meeting tomorrow.
    He rarely stops in so definitely staying late tonight to make sure everything I need, I have.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Sorry, MileHigh. Keep your head up.

8. MileHigh

Thanks. Blessing in disguise after how they treated me on the way out. Just reaffirmed why I've been looking for the past year. And fortunately/unfortunately I have financial means to last a while because of inheritance from my sister's family.

9. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

The frustrating thing for a lot of people isn't even the tumultuous work environment, but how we are/were treated. What do we need content for? What do we need copy editors for? You should feel part of something bigger, seeing your name in the paper and online, you should work for less? Well guess what asshole MEs and CEOs, you should give your bonuses back, because those are on the back of people who actually work hard. Nothing they have done has made the business better why do those assholes get the bonuses. It's fu**** up. So glad to be out. @wicked, @MileHigh I recommend looking into comm based depts. like higher ed or more and more health care companies are expanding their departments. Good luck with the search and you'll feel better and will be better treated soon!

Fredrick and MileHigh like this.
  10. MileHigh

Yeah, that's where my searches have been based. City governments (just recently missed out on a job in a local city here). But, yes, the treatment of employees on their way out is disgusting. Mine was the worst I've ever endured.

But then again, I've dealt with a lot worse crap the past two-plus years. This too shall pass.

11. astleford

astleford New Member

I left the business a little more than a year ago.

I worked with some great people and still have good memories from that chapter. But a career transition was the right choice for me and what I wanted from life moving forward.

Recently, I had the chance to write about my change. Leaving or staying is such a personal choice. But if you’re willing to take a step in another direction, please know that reinvention can be rewarding.

Writer, ChrisLong and Slacker like this.
  12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that.

astleford likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted