1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things that irk you......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It was ever thus, CDB. Don't take it to heart. Keep submitting.

Do you know an editor at the NYer? Or did you send it in over the transom?

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Oh I'm pretty much impervious to rejection at this point. Been piling them up for years. I was just whining about the timing :)

No, I don't know a specific editor there now. I just send it in over the transom.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Good luck.

CD Boogie likes this.
  4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

NFL threads with incorrect information.

5. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

What is the short story about in one to two sentences. That's all I'm asking.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

He’s going to write another one about you if you keep asking.

7. CD Boogie

Hmm, not sure I’ve ever tried to or wanted to summarize a short story in a sentence or two. I’m not trying to be difficult, but in trying to answer your ask I found it was fruitless.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Message boards.

Social media.

On a break.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. CD Boogie

Good thinking. See you in January

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

I'd happily welcome it.

11. CD Boogie

Working from home.

Years back, when I was a stay-at-home dad and working as a freelancer, I got used to wearing sweatpants all day, eating snacks, and watching ESPN. Then I got a full-time job and rarely if ever worked from home; and on the days I did -- usually because of a snowstorm -- it always seemed like the kind of shit I could easily handle if I were ass-in-seat at work would drive me nuts. It's a feeling, an almost guilt-ridden feeling, that I'm getting away with something, and so I have to focus harder, make it seem like I'm actually working as hard as I would be if I were at my desk (and not tempted to rent "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" on Amazon Prime).

Today my daughter had a two-hour delay because of snow, which means her school day begins at 10:45 a.m. If I dropped her off and then got a train, I wouldn't get to work till after 12. So I asked my boss yesterday -- in anticipation of this storm -- if I could work from home if there were a delayed opening or a cancellation. He said absolutely. He didn't jab me with a "Sure, just make sure it doesn't interfere with your work" or any of that shit; he treated me like an adult.

And yet I can't shake this feeling that I'm playing hookey, even though I'm not. In fact, I've been working steady for almost three hours.

I could never go back to working from home.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    Batman likes this.
  12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Commercials at Cinemark in middle of previews!

Spartan Squad likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted