1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Updated thread - What TV commercial gets on your nerves?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Dec 1, 2006.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Try WEtv. They even show the episodes with Michael Moriarty as one of the DAs I thought were verboten.

sgreenwell likes this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The show probably peaked with Hennessy - but I dug the Moriarity years. More mob stories, some IRA stuff. The plots seemed to get less complex once McCoy took over and it was in decline when Noth left. Supposedly the show wasn't attracting female viewers, which led to the initial cast changes.

sgreenwell likes this.
  3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

They must have pricing tiers for old L&O episodes - The most recent seasons, I would see on TNT primetime, whereas the older episodes would play at all different times. SVU and Dick Wolf's "Chicago BLANK" shows seem to be filling that void now. We had ION in Rhode Island and here in Houston, and they show SVU all Saturday, Chicago P.D. on Tuesday or Wednesday, and then CBS shows the other days (Criminal Minds, Blue Bloods, NCIS: L.A., and rarely O.G. CSI).

Then, amusingly, their "original show" on some weeknights is Private Eyes, a Canadian show with Jason Priestley. You see, his character's name is Matt SHADE, in this show about PRIVATE EYES, and also, he has a blind daughter for some reason. The show... has made a lot of confusing decisions, but it's still kind of enjoyable. (And, you probably already know this, but of course Shatner has abso-fucking-lutely picked up his paycheck for doing a guest spot.)

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I heard another one aimed at fat, old guys on medication. The message was basically “you’re gonna die soon so take care of your family.”

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The Brisco/Logan/McCoy/Kincaid pairing in, I think, season 4 or 5 is the absolute best that show ever was. IIRC, that team was only together for one season, but the ones right before and right after were really good as well. When I think of Law & Order, that's the era I think of.
    Pretty much any episode with Jerry Orbach is watchable, though.

On a tangent, can we talk about Detective Mike Logan for a minute? What a fucked up life that guy had. In no particular order he:
    • Was sexually abused by a priest
    • Was physically abused by his dad
    • Had one partner murdered and another almost killed in the line of duty
    • Got demoted and transferred for punching a city councilman
    Did the writers just hate his character or something?

Fred siegle likes this.
  6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Heard that one, too, but at least you can see a demographic that they're aiming at. There probably are a bunch of those folks out there.
    The trophy wives one cracks me up every time for just how insanely random it is. Who's listening to that one and saying, "Three ex-wives? Fourth who's a gold digger and apparently wants me dead? Yep, that's me!"

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

And based on a novel by Canadian sports writer Gare Joyce.

justgladtobehere and sgreenwell like this.
  8. sgreenwell

Andddd... his saga continues in Criminal Intent, since he's one of the detectives there for two or three seasons. He gets transferred to the major case case squad, and somehow this makes tabloid headlines. The guy who fought for him to be transferred because he's a good cop, he has to resign after one of his old friends implicates him in a crime that he didn't do. And Logan has to deal with two or three different partners in the span of two years.

EDIT TO ADD: Also, between L&O and Criminal Intent, he stars in the L&O "movie," which reveals that legendary background character Profaci has been on the take for years.

Fred siegle and Batman like this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Profaci!!!!!! Criminal Intent was better than SVU, maybe I just enjoyed the greater variation of stories, how it seemed to lean on the British style of mysteries more or Kathryn Erbe. Not sure if there was a stronger LandO cast than D'onofrio, Erbe, Sheridan and Courtney Vance as the ADA.

sgreenwell likes this.
  10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Another one for the radio division: I listen to a talk show daily on the Radio.com app and am subjected to the commercial for PXG golf clubs where the voice actor -- who I'm pretty sure is the company's owner -- sounds like he'd reading the copy while taking a giant shit.

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

All L&O shows are repetitive to some degree, but SVU became pretty much unwatchable after five or six seasons of same shit, different day.

sgreenwell likes this.
  12. sgreenwell

I loved Criminal Intent - it's probably my favorite of their shows to rewatch, just because the overall episode quality is more consistent. There aren't many true stinkers, until you get to the cash-strapped final season. Some of the Goldblum stuff isn't great, but even then, hell, it's great to just see him vampin' for an hour.

Draft saved Draft deleted