1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Rene Auberjonois

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Spartan Squad, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

OscarMadison and Neutral Corner like this.
  2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I remember him best as the stuck-up chief of staff for the governor in "Benson." And, oh yes, he was the original Father Mulcahy in the movie version of "M*A*S*H."

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

He played a one-off guest role on "The Rockford Files," in which he played an effete fashion promoter who was extremely snooty. And snotty.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    BadgerBeer likes this.
  4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I remember both of those, but I will always remember him as Odo.

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Great actor, still have never heard his last name pronounced.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Damn that was him in MASH. I always assumed it was the same guy from the show. He delivered one of my wife's favorite retorts: When Hot Lips is flabbergasted by what Hawkeye said, he calmly replies "he was drafted."

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  7. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

That may be one of the best scenes in the movie. He says the lines just perfect.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The question was actually along the lines of, "how does a person like you wind up in the Army?"
    Then he comes back with "He was drafted."

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That was actually one of his first acting roles, though he was 30 when he appeared in MASH. He also did a lot of voice acting. He was never a big star, but the guy worked quite a bit over about 50 years as an actor.

10. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

I was in college when the M*A*S*H movie came out. We had an auditorium that showed movies Friday and Saturday nights, and on this particular night, the place was packed for M*A*S*H. When that line was uttered, the place just absolutely exploded since this was right in the middle of the Vietnam War.

garrow likes this.
  11. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

From what I've heard, it's a-ber-jin-WAH. Or a-BER-jin-wah. Don't know exactly where the stress goes.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I was damn sure he played some kind of guest shot on the MASH teevee show (as somebody else, not Fr. Mulcahy) but unless IMDB is off, I guess not.

Draft saved Draft deleted