1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Getting out of the business" resource thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by playthrough, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

This right here. I know I had no chance of taking a nine-day trip to Europe on the salary I made at my old job. It was nice to be able to do that relatively stress free.

Driftwood likes this.
  2. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

One good thing about the demise of newspapers. When they go out of business nobody will be working in this wretched business anymore. Low pay, horrible managers or suits as I call them, illegal behavior (virtually everybody in the newsroom is on call 24/7 and is not paid for that work off the clock; and immoral lack of raises in pay and fake annual reviews. Congrats Cosmo.

3. Fredrick

Congratulations on getting out. The only reason people work in a newsroom any more is it is in their blood. They can't help themselves. It's sort of a calling. You've got to get out though. No excuse to remain at a newspaper. It's just a really bad profession right now.

4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I spent 18 years in a newsroom, and I've never looked back. Twice since I left, the sports editor spot has come open. I've been asked by the paper and by people in the community to go back, and I literally laughed at them.
    I have always kept my hand in the media because as a sideline to my assistant sports editor gig, I did college football radio. I still do and am in my 23rd season. Also, I run press box operations and do PA at my school for Friday night football. All the newspaper and radio people who come to cover our games appreciate having someone there who actually knows what folks need to do their jobs.

OscarMadison, maumann and Fredrick like this.
  5. Fredrick

Good for u driftwood. I respect u. Glad u laughed when they thought you'd want to come back.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Thanks. Honestly, the respect has to go to my wife. She flat out told me I was quitting, and if I didn't, she'd come down and do it for me. I was panicky because the newspaper business was all I had known my adult working life. I was kind of like the institutionalized prisoner in Shawshank.
    I took the plunge and leap of faith. I went a couple of weeks trying to figure out exactly what I was going to do... didn't know if I was destined to work at Lowe's, drive a beer truck, or what. My wife is a college professor. I was sitting at home one Wednesday morning surfing job sites. She called and asked if I was serious all those times I said I'd like to be a teacher. I said, I guess so; I don't have any other immediate prospects. She said, "Good. I enrolled you in the masters program to get your teaching license. You start class Friday night."

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  7. Fredrick

What a great story. Your wife is the best. If every reporter took the lead of your wife this business would be in much better shape. Modern newspaper work: Very low pay, no overtime paid for overtime worked, forced to work 24/7 because of the modern news cycle. All because reporters are trapped in their own prison since newspaper work is in their blood.

8. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Oh great, now I need to see Shawshank.

I've logged back on here because I've been told my position is being eliminated. They've offered no severance, after 15 years, and instead are making me work the next eight months or until I choose to leave on my own.

I cannot afford to leave on my own.

The night I was told, I was working as a one-man department, as I often do, laying out three pages, writing two stories, editing and the rest. I had to go in and finish my shift.

The real reason I'm being let go is I'm not part of the union here. I hadn't had a raise in seven years, if you call 2.5 per cent a raise. After my shop finally upgraded from computers running Quark 4.1 to InDesign this past year I decided they have committed to staying. So I asked for a raise. After all, the union folks get annual raises automatically - at least seven per cent total since my last raise.

Instead, I'm essentially being fired.

I've already applied for other jobs - one journalism, one communications. Hoping I don't have to leave town because my son's ashes are basically buried in our backyard.

9. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Why are you not part of the union? Can you join?

10. Fredrick

Geez, you are being treated like a real human being by your organization (sarcasm). Damn, what a heartless, souless, profession. The suits truly are ruthless bossing around the little people of the newsroom. Good luck to them getting somebody who can produce as you have.

11. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

I helped bargain a union contract in 2006, when things were better. Bargained my own position out of the contract. Got a nice raise then, maybe 10 per cent? Have received two raises for 2.5 per cent ever since.

So I guess I have no one to blame but myself on that front.

12. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Was hired in late July in health care communication department. I didn't want to jinx anything lol. But my suggestion for everyone is to get out if they can and not look back. I called my wife after my first day and said "it's 5 o'clock and I am coming home and leaving my computer at work." It is pretty amazing to be treated well. After working at Gannett for a decade, this is even more amazing. New gig is a $17,000 raise and raises are likely each year or close to it. I also don't work weekends and work 830 am to 5 p.m.

Being the holiday season we have a work party with the marketing and comm group, have monthly potlucks..I have great co-workers. It was odd for a bit and can freelance at startup place if I have the itch for sports coverage again, but on my terms. Feel great to be able to not worry about job security or missing anything at home with whacky schedule or breaking news. With a wife and two kids at home...I always thought I wanted to be a sports writer for a big D-I or pro team, but make better money probably, have a far better schedule and good benefits. Feeling swell.

Draft saved Draft deleted