1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose open-wheel (F1, IRL) racing thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by crimsonace, Feb 19, 2007.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

This thread dropped off the front page and was difficult to find because of the search function, but thought I'd drag it up with the 2019 F1 season in the books.
    With his win at Abu Dhabi, Hamilton unsurprisingly won 50 percent of the races in 2019 as well. Fun to watch for me, since my kid is so into him. It helped stoke his interest seeing his guy win so many races. I get that not everyone will enjoy it as much as we did. I was impressed that with the Constructor's Championship and Driver's Championship in hand after Dallas, Hamilton was still determined to continue winning races the rest of the season. He certainly could have mailed it in the rest of the way.

Possibly my favorite subplot this season was the tension between Vettel and Leclerc at at Ferrari. It'll be interesting to see how they handle it on Season 2 of F1: Drive to Survive on Netflix, which will probably drop in March ahead of the start of the 2020 season. All 10 teams will be represented on the show, which will be fun to see.

Also interesting was the way the stewards seemed to ease up on the contact penalties beginning with Canada and through the rest of the season.

Hulkenberg without a drive for next season, may be done. I feel bad for him. I liked the guy. Toro Rosso will undergo a name change to represent Red Bull's new clothing line, Alpha Tauri.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Disappointed for Hulkenberg. I would have liked to see him catch on somewhere.

Next year at Ferrari's going to be interesting. Vettel's done, but no one seems to want to acknowledge that. Ferrari used to look to dump guys before their sell-by date. Not anymore.

I think Haas gets sold by 2021 when the teams should be worth more. Bringing back the same driver lineup after a lost season where the car got worse each race tells me they're just barely going through the motions.

Today's rumor is Racing Point becoming Aston Martin after Lance Stroll's dad buys into the car company. Skeptical, but we'll see. We'd be getting back to the days when that team changed owners and names every season.

3. bigpern23

Verstappen was fun to watch and is clearly a talented driver, but I'm surprised Ferrari stuck with the status quo after seeing its two drivers finish behind a Honda driver. Leclerc, obviously, isn't going anywhere. Did Vettel have any wins besides Singapore? (That was a helluva race, BTW.)

4. PCLoadLetter

It was just Singapore, which is kind of pathetic. Put Vettel under the smallest amount of pressure these days and he'll drive into a wall.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Vettel lost in Canada due to a five-second time penalty.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Ricciardo is one of my fave guys on the grid but that move to Renault did him no favours, he seemed to out for a nice two-hour drive on his own most Sundays.

7. PCLoadLetter

Yeah, and he probably should have had the win there. Not sure in retrospect he fully deserved that penalty.

At the same time, he drove into the grass because Lewis was chasing him and Seb just broke under the pressure.

I think it'd be really interesting to see Seb retire and Ferrari get Ricciardo into that seat.

8. bigpern23

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

In other F1 news, a reminder that season two of Drive to Survive premiers on Netflix on Friday.

garrow and bigpern23 like this.
  10. bigpern23

Good call. Can't wait to watch it. IIRC, all the teams, including Mercedes and Ferrari, will be featured this season. Ferrari was only tangentially featured last season as it related to LeClerc's chase for a seat with them. Mercedes wasn't a part of Season 1 at all.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Yes, sounds like all teams will be involved. You know they will follow along with Danny Ric at Renault, he's made for TV. Sounds like there will be some focus on the Belgian Grand Prix weekend that saw the death of Antoine Hubert.

bigpern23 likes this.
  12. bigpern23

The Ferrari dynamics between Vettel and LeClerc should be fascinating.

Draft saved Draft deleted