1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Laptop recommendation

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bob Smith, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Bob Smith

Bob Smith Member

Veteran sports reporter here, now just stringing. Have a four-year-old Dell Inspiron, but I stepped on it and cracked the screen slightly. Turns out that's not good for it.

Need a recommendation for someone who basically just writes stories, browses the Internet and streams the occasional event ... and isn't even too sure the difference between a laptop and a chromebook or notebook.

Have been sort of eyeing and Asus Chromebook C202SA-3502, but not sure. Thanks!

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Im an apple guy, but they are expensive.

I have a reporter buddy who swears by the Google Chromebook. He has a compatible phone, too. Loves them.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've been an Apple person. Using an HP Pavilion now. Apple's are superior, but I also think they are loaded with features you may not need, nor want to pay that much extra for (but you will get a free year of Apple TV). And haven't they been having issues with their MacBook lately?

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Chromebook has very little memory and the user stores documents on Google Drive. So the user needs internet access for most of the computer's functions. Some functions can be set up for some offline access.

Like Elliotte said, it is fully integrated with the user's phone through his Google account. Android apps are also available for Chromebook. But the user has to use Google Docs and stuff to create files, but Word and PDF docs can be opened and the user can convert Google Docs into those formats.

I received a notice about this Digital Trends article for a Cyber Monday deal.

This is the Absolute Best Asus Chromebook Deal for Cyber Monday | Digital Trends

You can get Chromebooks for cheaper, but Digital Trends seems to like it. I have no opinion.

I got an Acer Chromebook from an Amazon Truck Sale and love it. Very light and easy to use. Takes getting used to the

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

...way it dies midsentence?

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I got an HP Envy about nine months ago and love it. Huge screen, lots of memory, runs great.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

How'd you step on it?

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Sorry.
    the keyboard, touchpad, and the system, generally. Nothing too bad.

maumann and TigerVols like this.
  9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I've had to work a couple of bugs out of my Envy but I agree. Super slim and it's pretty quick and easy to use.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The big screen was a big thing for me because while I don't stream a lot, I do watch a lot of football game film as a referee and it's fantastic.

11. Bob Smith

Bob Smith Member

My laptop was closed and sitting on the floor and I stepped on it. Doh!
    I bought a Lenovo. A relative who works at Toyota said it's the laptop of choice for the whole company. I also got a good "extended Cyber Monday Day" deal.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'm a Mac guy (at least for now; Apple is beginning to try my patience) but I also have Lenovo laptops in my life and they would be the route I would go for a Windows-based machine.

Chromebooks are just not fully functional.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted