1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Take that, Brock Yates: NYC to LAX in 27 hours, 25 minutes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by maumann, Dec 4, 2019.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Have always been fascinated by the Cannonball Run and its offspring.

The record just got crushed by three guys averaging 103 mph over the 2,825-mile trip. And fuel stops took less than 23 minutes. Bladders of steel.

The story of the levels of sophistication and sheer dumb luck on how they avoided the police -- or crashing into anybody -- is worth the read.

Cross-Country Cannonball Record Broken — 27 Hours 25 Minutes

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That's one helluva run. Great story. It's the kind of ride that would make a judge put you under the jail if you were caught.

I hate to think what the total cost was, but the sheer Banzai! craziness of it is incredible.

I don't know if that time will ever be beaten in a true Cannonball formal race. Being able to pick your start time so that you hit the California end avoiding rush hour is huge. Normally the cars draw for start times, so only a lucky few have any chance to hit that sweet spot.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  3. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Funny, I was driving across the southeast for thanksgiving and I swear cannonball was happening all around us. I was about 85 mph in the right lane and just being passed constantly.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I love every aspect of Cannonballing.
    At one point, getting to 193 mph.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I read about it on Jalopnik, and some of the commenters were talking about other attempts that included huge (up to 187-gallon) fuel tanks, and how dangerous it was to have that much fuel in the cabin.
    I had to point out that if you crash while going 193 mph, having 187 gallons of fuel inside the car with you is going to be the least of your worries.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

You hit a rock sideways at 193 mph, the only question is open casket or closed casket.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Curious how you pick the time of year to minimize traffic interruptions. Weekday vs. weekend, I'm guessing you avoid summer and hope to avoid bad weather in the fall.
    Why not go with moving tankers to refill on the fly?

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Also, does the Cannonball record still count if you get ejected during the crash and reach your destination via air?

Fred siegle and Chef2 like this.
  9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Great story. Even more amazing they did it going through the mountains from Denver to Grand Junction instead of staying on I-80 through Wyoming then coming down I-15 through Salt Lake City.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Passed these folks along the way:

[​IMG]

TowelWaver, maumann, garrow and 3 others like this.
  11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Personally, I don't think any record should count unless they were dressed as priests and drove a red Ferrari.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted