1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-20 college football coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jlee, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Lots of speculation but no confirmation here in The Natural State.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Saw several links that put them in Boca for the interview (plus whatever the hell that was at the Springdale airport last night.)

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Freek is awesome.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Gonna be hard to recruit talent out of high school as you indicated. Their best friend may be the celebrated Transfer Portal -- particularly when those dismissed from bigger programs for misconduct are passing through. That may be their only way to get talent, and it comes with obvious risks and irregular contributions.
    Students are footing the bill to a disproportionate degree for this football thingy by having student fees raised in recent years. From 2009-10 to 2018-19, student fees at ODU jumped 48%, a rate of increase far outpacing William & Mary (35%), UVa (19.6%) and ESPN's favorite sons in Blacksburg (12%).

The notion that everybody should have a football team is just not a great idea. ODU's annual giving rates and gender breakdown in the student body, two things that these moves are supposed to spur, haven't changed from before the football program's creation to the present day.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So still nothing concrete on USC?
    Pretty weak from the new AD. If you are making the change, make the change. If you aren't, announce it.

7. tapintoamerica

A chance he's deciding to keep Helton for a year until Chris Petersen feels the urge to get back in the saddle?

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If he burned out at UW, how long do you think he’ll last in LA?

9. tapintoamerica

Two years tops.
    I'm not saying such a move would be prudent by USC; I'm only saying a place run by a few rich boosters is capable of anything.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Petersen's exit was weird. You declare yourself a "Husky for life" then mention you need to "re-charge." Huh? You take a job within the athletic department so that kind of rules out getting an NFL job that won't be announced for a month. And you're not going to get a bigger job with a less intense local media than UW. I wouldn't hire Petersen. USC wants better results than he got out of UW.

11. tapintoamerica

Agreed. I wouldn't go anywhere near him. Especially if you have a big stadium that needs filling and you are counting on the next coach to help rally the troops.

12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I'm a techno-idiot so my question for you is coming from pure ignorance: Did the guy's Twitter account get hacked or what do you think is going on here? Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted