1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure sports trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jan 3, 2019.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Original Stagg Field at the University of Chicago is notable for two events. One non-football related, the other significant to a school playing the University of Chicago.

2. Hickory Smoke

Hickory Smoke New Member

The non-football event was the first nuclear chain reaction.

3. DanOregon

Ding, ding, ding.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I’ll say Notre Dame’s first win.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Speaking of the University of Chicago, what notable distinction does its most famous football alum (a player, not the coach Stagg) hold in both college football and the NFL?

6. DanOregon

Actually, it was where a band member composed "The Victors" after a Michigan win over Chicago.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  7. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

U of C running back Jay Berwanger was the first Heisman Trophy winner in 1935, and then was the first-ever NFL draft pick (although he never signed).

Batman likes this.
  8. mpcincal

I answered a few, so I'll throw out one of my own: Name the only NCAA Division I hockey team to share its nickname with an NHL team.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Does Pitt have a hockey team? I’ll say Pitt and the Florida Panthers.

10. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Ducks? Oregon and Anaheim?

11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I looked it up. It's tough because hockey is the school's only DI sport and the school is not among the traditional powerhouses or any of the programs that just recently popped up. Though the team is doing well this year, which is the reason I found them.

12. mpcincal

No hockey teams (outside of possible club teams) at Pitt and Oregon. Hint: Hockey is the only Division I sport at this school (EDIT: As justgladtobehere pointed out in the previous post. Duh.)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted