1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA Week 15

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

EST
    vegasinsider.com

Friday, Dec. 6
    Utah (-6.5) (50) vs. Oregon (Pac-12 Championship Game in Santa Clara, CA) | 8 p.m. | ABC

Saturday, Dec. 7
    Oklahoma (-9.5) (63.5) vs. Baylor (Big 12 Championship Game in Arlington, TX) | 12 p.m. | ABC
    Appalachian State (-6) (56.5) vs. Louisiana (Sun Belt Championship Game) | 12 p.m. | ESPN
    Miami (Ohio) vs. Central Michigan (-6.5) (53) (MAC Championship Game in Detroit) | 12 p.m. | ESPN2
    Florida Atlantic (-7.5) (48.5) vs. UAB (Conference USA Championship Game) | 1:30 p.m. | CBSSN
    Memphis (-10) (58.5) vs. Cincinnati (America Athletic Conference Championship Game) | 3:30 p.m. | ABC
    LSU (-6.5) (56.5) vs. Georgia (SEC Championship Game in Atlanta, GA) | 4 p.m. | CBS
    Boise State (-15) (63.5) vs. Hawai'i (Mountain West Championship Game) | 4 p.m. | ESPN
    Clemson (-29) (54.5) vs. Virginia (ACC Championship Game in Charlotte, NC) | 7:30 p.m. | ABC
    Ohio State (-16.5) (53.5) vs. Wisconsin (Big Ten Championship Game in Indianapolis, IN) | 8 p.m. | FOX

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Clemson giving 29 seems like a lot.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

It does, but I think Virginia put everything into beating Tech last week and simply doesn't have the secondary to hang with Clemson's offense. Add in Dabo's general pissiness right now, and you've got the makings of a blowout. Still wouldn't touch that line, though.

4. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Hawai'i will be in Boise on the warmest day of the week. Weather will be rainy and slightly above 40 degrees at kickoff. I still think those kids will say "fuck this" and I'll take the Broncos and the points.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Is it standard on the mainland these days to spell Hawai'i with the okina?

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Central Michigan was 75-1 to win the MAC at the start of the year.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I attach myself to the Hokie gentleman's analysis, word for word.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That seemed to start around the same time people started spelling it "Kyiv."

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Thought it was another one of those "see how woke I am" thingys.

10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Until just recently, I thought Kyiv had two syllables and was pronounced key-Ev.

cyclingwriter2 and Batman like this.
  11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Call it the Law of Unintended Consequences.

On this date in 2014, about 2 p.m., I was outside the UAB Football offices, a converted 1960's dentist office, when the coaches broke the official news to the football team that the team had been disbanded. I saw big strong kids with tears of pain and disbelief streaming down their cheeks. I saw them after the next meeting, with UAB President Ray Watts, (who wielded the knife), streaming tears of rage and frustration. I was also there for as close to a student campus riot as I have ever come, as he scurried to his university vehicle afterward.

On this date in 2014, UAB administration killed the football, bowling and rifle programs. Since reinstatement in 2015, with play beginning in 2017, UAB Football has:

-- 2 C-USA championship appearances (2018, 2019)

-- 1 C-USA title (2018)

-- First bowl win (2018)

-- 3 bowl appearances

-- Record of 28-11

-- 18-0 at home

-- Top 25 ranking

-- Most C-USA wins (19)

-- First 8-win season, 1st 9-win season, 1st 11-win season

-- Bill Clark 2x National Coach of the Year

-- Multiple NFL players

-- New $22m football facilities

-- New stadium on the way

-- C-USA 3-year attendance average leader (Phrased that way because we missed being first this season by 300 or so)

Bowling and Rifle also have achieved championships and rankings.

Ray's actions inflamed what former University of Alabama Chancellor Robert Witt referred to as "The vocal few", some of whom were in the video above. I know people who proudly wear a "Vocal Few" tattoo today.

Thanks, guys, for awakening the sleeping giant.

I also learned that you can't get a university president fired for doing what his Board of Trustees orders him to, no matter how you try. Watts is still the UAB President, and he now shamelessly takes credit for the current renaissance of UAB Football.

From the bottom of my heart, Fuck You, Ray.

Batman likes this.
  12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I was in Louisville for the first round of March Madness in 2015 when UAB knocked off Iowa State by a point as a 14 seed and remember not just how ecstatic their small fan base was, but how a lot of other fans in the building got on board with them. Which happens anyway with a Cinderella seed, but the football decision was still raw and there was a lot of sympathy.

Draft saved Draft deleted