1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coaches who didn’t get second chances

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by cyclingwriter2, Nov 29, 2019.

1. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Doh! I forgot about the Fish Sticks.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I was young when Berry got canned, but I remember him being portrayed as very out of touch in all aspects of being a coach. He was a very 1950s guy.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I got the impression from Doug Flutie: A Football Life that Berry was indeed out of touch with the modern player and a poor communicator.
    He had nothing to do with the pure roster rot of that team back then, but he did not manage the quarterback position well at all.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

As far as Mariucci - I think it's better for a guy to come in and win with nothing rather than guide loaded teams, get bounced with them and then lose with nothing in his second job.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Mariucci "coaching tree" is almost comical. Always thought if he stayed at Cal for a couple of years before heading to the NFL he would have been in a much better position.
    Another one is Mike Riley leaving after a 5-6 season at Oregon State for the Chargers. The money was more than OSU, but wasn't at all great by NFL standards and Beathard the GM already announced he was retiring. Of course, who knows if Oregon State gets to the Fiesta Bowl if they don't get Erickson (who also left OSU after the first whiff of NFL interest). Hell, when David Shaw finally makes the jump he's going to get six guaranteed and $50m.

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Eddie Bush - Kansas City Scouts.

exmediahack likes this.
  7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Wow, great old-school hockey pull. I have been to the Eddie Bush Arena in beautiful downtown Collingwood, Ontario

Liut likes this.
  8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Never got a chance... whatever happened to Russ Grimm?

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

That one failed year at Arkansas State probably hurt him more than anything. Not even working for Parcells for 4 seasons afterward could erase that stain.

3_Octave_Fart likes this.
  10. 3_Octave_Fart

Twirling Time-
    There was an incident where Perkins physically attacked a player (Ron Heller). I don't know how much reporting it got at the time.

11. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Steve Kasper, Boston Bruins of the mid 90s.

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Rob Chudzinski, 2016 Browns
    Frank Gansz, Chiefs
    Steve Wilks, Cardinals

Draft saved Draft deleted