1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jake from State Farm, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Well, I'm going to be working all day. Football in the morning, security at the car rental place from 4-midnight. My choice. No complaints.

Vombatus and Fred siegle like this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Man - I went looking for an NFL Films Presents piece on the famous "Free Turkey" prank NFL teams always play on rookies. I know I've seen it. The kicker of the piece was that the rookies came in Friday talking about their turkeys and it turned out the head coach or an assistant paid the store owner and told him to give the players turkeys. Wish I could track it down.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Works for me.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

There is honor in that, dude.
    I know these days are hard without mom but you're doing the right thing. It's got to be about positive distractions.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I hope you all have a Happy Thanksgiving.

This is our third one without my sister and her family and we traditionally spent the day at their home in Fort Collins so it makes it a hard holiday of late.

Still, I'll be in Boulder today spending it with my other sister and her family and my parents, who came out from California. And after 20 inches of snow fell on Tuesday, we're taking the nephew and nieces out sledding this morning.

FileNotFound, jlee, swingline and 5 others like this.
  6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Morning with my son's family and granddaughter. Afternoon with my soon-to-be-a-mom daughter and her crew. Evening with everybody.
    No work today.
    I'm thankful for today.

(and saw the Caps win last night with my son, they're unbeaten with me in the house this year)

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That sounds tough. I hope you find a way to enjoy the day and hope your family has a good thanksgiving. We'll be at my sister's, too, with my other sister and both of their families. My sisters have great kids and they are all young adults now. I really enjoy being around them. Your sledding with the kids sounds like fun. I'd enjoy that kind of activity today. We've settled into a routine for Thanksgiving weekend the last several years. Thanksgiving at my sister's, then a long weekend in NY (we are splitting time between two cities, but prefer weekends in NY), a college hockey game at MSG on Saturday night that has become a yearly tradition for the last decade +. We'll also get in some ice skating at Bryant Park, then shop the holiday market they have out there. Last year I got some killer bourbon barrel aged maple syrup from a guy there. I only bought one bottle. I hope he's back.

MileHigh likes this.
  10. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Agreed.

I am in a state with blue laws, so there shall be no shopping until 1 a.m. Friday. Or in our family, whenever my mom gets around to leaving the house.

I'm pretending to work. She's shouting into the phone while watching the parade on TV. The local radio station will play "Alice's Restaurant" at noon. Ah, tradition!

I hear your fart, and it blends right into our family's holiday memories. :D I think that's why we're sticking to so many traditions, even though I suspect both my mom and I would rather do other things.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Ragu, the city of Strasbourg, will have a Christmas market set up on the Bowling Green starting a week from today. I think you would enjoy this.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It took me a second to figure this out. Thank you for this. MsRagu went to school in Strasbourg and has really fond memories of living there. The Christmas Market there is supposed to be really nice, so if they even capture a small bit of it, it could be nice. We will definitely check it out in December. I wouldn't have known about it, so thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted