1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things that irk you......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Apr 20, 2017.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

just realized I wrote "text driving" instead of "test driving."

Hmm..Freud

Chef2 likes this.
  2. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Everyone is so worked up over losing their jobs to AI. The first place I'd send the robots is to the damn DMV.

OscarMadison and Chef2 like this.
  3. CD Boogie

Sure as shit, another hassle. Went to turn in my car last night and to pick up my new car. Everything ready to roll when the guy who handles the financing asks for the title to the car I was turning in. Phuuck. Now it makes perfect sense that they need this. But did the dealer I'd been working with mention even once that I needed to provide it? Nope. I haven't sold a car in nearly 20 years. He buys and sells them daily, that shit should be on a checklist of things to mention. Like right at the fucking top.

Did I even know offhand where it was? Nope, though I had a good idea.

The finance guy says, "Well, we'll have to start the process for a title replacement, and if you can't get us the title by tomorrow or Friday at the latest, I'm gonna have to charge you $100 for the replacement."

Motherfucker.

So I was able to leave with the car, but I left with a sour taste. Luckily the title was in the bureau where I keep most items like that, e.g., birth certificates, passport, etc.

So this morning I had to drive back to the dealer, in rush hour traffic, when I normally just drive to the train station. I dropped off the title and the salesman said thank you, then took me aside and said, "Do me a favor, give me a good rating when they send the survey."

Hmmm.

I reckon he won't make that title mistake again (I hope), so I see no reason to burn him.

BTW, love the new car. All the way home last night, I couldn't help but think how much anxiety I had lately driving my old Pilot. Paying for peace of mind is worth it to me.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Out here, all that would have needed to be done was for you to sign a Power Of Attorney, then you either bring in the title the next time you're around the dealer or drop it in the mail.
    For him to charge you $100 for the replacement title......nope......that was going straight into his pocket. GUARANTEED.

5. CD Boogie

goddamnit

6. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Yeah a replacement title in Virginia costs $15. That $100? That's mostly going into the dealer's pocket.

7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Which is why they don’t tell you to bring it in...

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

As the brother of a car salesman I implore you to do this; there's no skin off your back for giving all 10s, and the slightest ding or negative comment really impacts the salesman's wallet (and the dealer's, as well).

9. CD Boogie

I have every intention to. He is relatively green at this job, having moved over from running restaurants for years, so I can understand an oversight. It wasn't something malicious; he just fucked up. He also didn't tell me that I needed to pay off the entire tax due on the trade-in -- even the tax due months from now -- before they could accept the vehicle. He texted me this nugget the same time he told me Progressive faxed him the binder and ID card for the wrong car. At the end of the day, I have to pay it anyway, so whatever. I wasn't happy to have to pay it unexpectedly, though. Ce la vie.

I went into this process with eyes wide open, had a few grand set aside (and put down $1000, in addition to the $3K trade in) and knew there were going to be unforeseen costs, either to insurance hikes or what have you. Turns out my insurance went down $30 a month, so that's a bonus.

TigerVols likes this.
  10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

So give us your run-down on the new CR-V? I have 135K on a 2012 which is our 3rd.

11. CD Boogie

Love it so far. Got a lot of bells and whistles I need to familiarize myself with, though the dealer gave me a good 45 minute rundown of the lane assist jazz and the accident prevention braking system. Being able to call someone with the speakerphone is just awesome. The backup camera is fine, but I don't think I'll ever get used to not looking over both shoulders. Besides, I will not use it to back into parking spaces unless backing in is the only choice. (It irks me when people do this at shopping centers and the like because it throws other drivers for a loop).

I got the EX-L with the leather and the moon roof, which will be nice in warm weather. Haven't had a moon roof in like 20 years. The car rides as high as my old Pilot, but it's definitely smaller inside and feels it -- just looking in the rearview mirror, the distance to the backseats and the back window is noticeably closer, which isn't surprising. It's got plenty of trunk space. Also it's got this "green" gas system that is supposed to help with mileage. According to the sticker, it gets up to 28 city/34 highway. That's pretty dame awesome for an all-wheel drive SUV.

12. CD Boogie

When the New Yorker waits till Wednesday afternoon before Thanksgiving to send you

Dear ***,

We regret that we are unable to use the enclosed material. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to consider your work.

Sincerely,
    The Editors

* note: I’ve never had anything published anything with them so this ain’t a surprise. Still wait till the Monday after the holiday, huh? When I’m thankful for nothing?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted