1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jake from State Farm, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

If your family does an ugly sweater contest at Christmas, I found your winner. I give you Centaur Claus!

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Best holiday on the calendar and it's not even close. I even think we should hold it twice a year, with the other falling between Presidents Day' and Memorial Day. Maybe call it Thanksgetting, which would be a truly American holiday.

Fred siegle, wicked and OscarMadison like this.
  4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

It is the most miserable time of the year. If it didn't happen, I would be so much happier.

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I can't tell if you're being facetious, but, if not, why do you say this?

6. CD Boogie

:confused:

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Thanksgiving for me is a friends holiday. Christmas is a family holiday. I head back to my old stomping grounds for a killer Friendsgiving party on Thanksgiving eve before going to a large potluck/buffet style lunch/dinner at another friend's place on Thursday. Then we head out and get pissed on Thursday night. It's really a fun time.

Spent so many years working Fridays covering HS football playoffs that Thanksgiving never really was a chance for me to get away and see family, and it's kind of stuck.

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Over the last 15 years it has lost all tradition and any excitement and it will never return to anything good. So, fuck it.

9. CD Boogie

Another reason why I love Thanksgiving; it's what ya make of it. Doesn't have the same family focus as Christmas. I mean, football, family/friends, and food -- and no fucking presents. What's not to like?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  10. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Don’t forget Thanksgiving eve is the biggest bar night of the year

wicked likes this.
  11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

It's a sad time for us. All four of our parents are gone now, and given the number of kids with divorced parents in the family, the clan is largely dispersed. No more big family Thanksgiving at Grandma's.

That said, we're about to leave for Friendsgiving at a an old friend's house, so all is not lost.

It's still just not the same.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Having a birthday around this time of the year is a mixed blessing.

Draft saved Draft deleted