1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-2020 NHL season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sea Bass, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Whose, then?

2. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Ownership

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Wrong. Shanahan has more power than that.

4. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I have no reason to doubt you
    All I know is when Shanny left the Wings for the Rangers it was no secret the main reason he left was Babs

5. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Well maybe that and maybe also the fact the Rangers gave him a 70% raise at age 37. At any rate, that was 13 years ago.

I think Tanenbaum gives more power to Shanahan than he has to any Pres/GM in the past, and that hiring Babcock was Shanahan’s call.

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Bill Peters reportedly out as Calgary head coach. Several years ago, Peters allegedly called one of his former AHL players in Rockford by the n-word on more than one occasion.

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Update: Brad Treliving has shot the firing down ... for now. SN talent who tweeted citing another SN talent as their source for the info in post above appears to have now deleted the tweet.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  8. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

I’m a Flames season ticket holder since 1985 so I’m in touch with the scene here and just to make sure there aren’t any false rumours disseminated far and wide, Peters is alleged to have called the music blaring in the dressing room n...... shit, not actually referring to any specific individual. Maybe the music was rap, I don’t like it either, and it should have been dealt with better but I’m not a hockey coach trying to keep control of a team either. Hockey is not a yelling and screaming locker room culture and everyone has bad days. Unfortunate situation for everyone.
    Just want to make sure everyone knows it wasn’t specifically directed at an individual. At least this is what I’m told by some hockey people in Calgary. We will see.

Vombatus, Liut and JimmyHoward33 like this.
  9. misterbc

I have no proof but I will guess Bettman asks/tells Flames to fire Peters.

Liut likes this.
  10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

They should anyways. He has a long history as a bully.

11. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter if it was directed at an individual, a group, or not towards a human.

You don't use that word. Period.

Liut, ChrisLong and JC like this.
  12. misterbc

I agree wholeheartedly, it’s repulsive and I would never associate myself with anyone who did/does use it. I’m not supporting Peters in the least, I don’t even think he’s a very good coach, was just pointing out that he apparently didn’t look someone in the eye and say it. Since it’s been corroborated that Peters used the word it’s an open and shut case. I’m waiting for the team investigation to wrap up, I doubt they will leave any stone unturned. It’s a touchstone moment for Calgary and it’s citizens. We have been through a lot in recent years, living in a place that has been specifically targeted by global elites and enviro freaks as the cause of global climate change all the while them being helped by our own federal government and up until recently the provincial government as well. Think about that, your own governments trying to destroy your own economy. What we actually are is a hardworking and fun loving and active group who are the friendliest and most welcoming people on the planet. We always try and do the right thing and that means Peters will be fired. Nobody in Calgary wants anything to do with people like this.
    The team is not particularly well managed, there is a paper thin roster after the top 5 forwards, and plays a style that won’t win in the NHL but they aren’t idiots or racists. They will have the backing of 100% of their fan base when they take the proper course of action. If they don’t fire Peters there won’t be a new arena for them, the outrage by Calgarians will see to that.

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted