1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 Baseball Hall of Fame Class

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I agree with your conclusion, Greenie.

2. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

He was sent to Toledo because he didn’t hit and wouldn’t stop striking out and the Tigers eventually released him
    He bounced to the Yankees and Red Sox Triple A teams before the Rays rescued him and he revived his career but his Tigers career was disappointing
    sgreenwell is right about Pena’s defense
    He looked better than he really was

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It's a separate issue from my point, which is that if you aren't voting for the known PED users, there's no one on the ballot but Jeter who is a slam dunk HOFer.

To your point, though, we don't need to suss out whether Bonds, Clemens, Sosa or Ramirez used PEDs. We know they did. Are we really talking about whether it's "fair" that Bonds and Clemens don't get in while other steroid users may slip past? They cheated. And they got caught. What they did was not fair. I'm not sure why any of them should expect fairness now.

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

How do we know Bonds, Clemens and Sosa did? And beyond that, even if one were to concede they did, it wasn’t against the rules when they did. The only one caught dead to rights was Ramirez.

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

JFC, the idiocy behind those released ballots is amazing. It's all "look at me" posturing. Jeter alone? What a surprise, the guy is from New York. Whatever. With such a large body of voting members, there are bound to be morons, which is why I'm still shocked that Rivera got 100 percent. You watch: Some dolt from New England is gonna leave Jeter off just as a counter-measure to the guy who only voted for him.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be at all surprised.

7. bigpern23

It was against the rules. It was a feckless rule since they didn't test for PEDs, but it was against the rules.

Per Fay Vincent in 1991: "The possession, sale or use of any illegal drug or controlled substance by Major League players and personnel is strictly prohibited. Major League players or personnel involved in the possession, sale or use of any illegal drug or controlled substance are subject to discipline by the Commissioner and risk permanent expulsion from the game…

This prohibition applies to all illegal drugs and controlled substances, including steroids or prescription drugs for which the individual in possession of the drug does not have a prescription."

And you can't be serious about "how do we know they did," right?

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'm always amazed by people who say "it wasn't against the rules," ... yet there wasn't a player using PEDs out in the open as if it was OK, and dozens for whom there was evidence of use, lied about it.

If it was OK, why wouldn't they all have said, "It isn't against the rules, so it's not a problem" rather than lying about it?

bigpern23 likes this.
  9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Astros stole signs with methods against the rules.

Ban everyone involved from the Hall.

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

too late. Nolan Ryan is already in.

11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Fay Vincent’s rule applied to MLB employees, not players. It was never collectively bargained.

12. bigpern23

"The possession, sale or use of any illegal drug or controlled substance by Major League players and personnel is strictly prohibited."

Draft saved Draft deleted