1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-2020 NHL season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sea Bass, Jun 16, 2019.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This is homer BS. You don’t expect to get hit when you are tied up by a linesmen. Doesn’t excuse what he did but Gudbranson shot was cheap.

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Yeah, it was cheap, but should have been expected. Just go back to the beginning of this. If the ref calls the charging penalty on Leipsic (coming from the top of the circle to behind the net), it doesn't happen, these guys aren't dancing 2-3 minutes later.

Over 40+ years following this sports, I've learned to look back to the root of the incident if you can. Just like on a goal -- usually the goal is the result of pass or a check or a turnover before the scorer got the puck.

Go back to the Ducks comeback to beat the Oilers in the playoffs a couple of years ago. All you could see was Kesler pinning Talbot's pads to the ice. But you neglected to notice that Nurse was on Kesler's back, preventing him from getting up.

3. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Think Shanny enjoyed firing Babs?
    Babcock has nothing to blame but his ego
    He thought he could waltz into Toronto, end the Cup drought and become a national hero
    Life rarely works that way

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I just watched the beginning of that video again, and I just don't see a charge. He doesn't leave his skates. Maybe his right skate is off the ice at the point of contact? But he doesn't launch. It wasn't a headshot, either time. It was a rough play, shoulder to shoulder. Leipsic isn't tall enough to hit Gudbrandson in the head. Again, it had been building throughout the back half of that period. Leipsic got run earlier in the period on what I thought was a clean--but rough--hit. He wanted his pound of flesh. Then shit got weird.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Charging is rarely called and the ref calling a penalty is not stopping the immediate reaction, and the hit was not that bad. And, no, you should not expect to get hit when you are tied up by a linesmen. Does it happen? Yes, but you can’t defend yourself. What could he have done to defend himself in that situation? It is the epitome of cheap.

The Kesler stuff is laughable. Not worth even going down that road.

What is being overlooked is Hathaway hitting the Duck Player when he was down with his forearm and elbow.

6. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

What do you mean by this? He hired him.

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Cosmo, Leipsic originally hit Grant. Nobody said it was a head shot. From the top of the circle he took a couple of strides toward the goal then veered right at Grant. JC is proving my point. They rarely call charging -- I've seen a couple this year -- and if they did, it would have ended this right from the start.

Enough, now go back to your dance with OOP.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What dance with OOP?

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

They generally won't call charging unless your skates have clearly left the ice.

10. Jake from State Farm

They didn’t get along in Detroit, to put it mildly

11. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

And yet he hired him in Toronto?

12. Jake from State Farm

I don’t think it was his call

Draft saved Draft deleted