1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Muscle Cars

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Let's just say you go to the mailbox today, and a long-lost uncle or whatever sent you a check for $100,000 and the express purpose of this was to buy a car.
    Not a $15,000 car and pocket the rest.
    Nope.
    You've got $100,000 and you're spending it all on a car.

What are you buying?

Me:

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Datsun was always Nissan. That never changed.

The reason it was labeled a "Datsun" was to protect the brand name. When they sold the 240Z in this country 50 years ago, they honestly did not know how it would go. They wanted to be able to say it was "Datsun" that failed to protect Nissan.

The Z obviously did NOT fail. But it took Nissan another decade before they called Datsun vehicles Nissans in the West.

4. Sam Mills 51

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The return of Alfa-Romeo to the American market gives me joy.

Even the base model Giulia is a beautiful car.

6. Sam Mills 51

Alfa-Romeo, like the other Italian manufacturers, knows how to make an attractive car. Plenty of showroom and kid's room poster appeal. No argument there.

But there are still major mechanical issues. I hear they are working on those issues, but it has been 30 years. Surely, you can engineer something dependable in that time frame. The Japanese R&D and engineers have to be laughing at the water cooler.

If it spends more time on the hoists of the dealers and your favorite independent mechanic than your driveway or garage, something is wrong.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm certain the build quality and the reliability are as awful as they have always been.*

That said, the $75000 hot rod Giulia - a 505 horsepower twin-turbo V-6 - is a head turner.

Build and Price Your New Alfa Romeo | Alfa Romeo USA

*even their website is balky.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

When I was a kid, I coveted the Alfa GT / Sprint / Giulia. Another world rally star with a twin-cam 4. These are circa 1970.

746e739d0d290c4b16f940e5146a2c48.jpg

1527198472cd20849DSC_0798-1280x851-940x625.jpg

9. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

Lots of cars to choose from for a 100k car but I’m partial to a recent Maserati GranTurismo. I’d just shop until finding the right one. Maserati’s are luxury race cars and incredibly underrated. They have built some of the most famous sports cars in racing history, not to mention the famed 250F Formula 1 car driven by the likes of Fangio, Moss et al. They have all the racing history along with unmatched luxury and, believe me, nothing sounds like a Maserati. I spent an afternoon in Modena, Italy last year at the finest private collection in existence and there were quite a few in the parking lot, too. Memorable experience seeing F1 and sports cars that made history all in one place.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

This is my choice:

[​IMG]

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Joe Walsh approves.

misterbc and Chef2 like this.
  12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

As long as it does 185.

misterbc likes this.