1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Muscle Cars

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

For 110K +, it damn well should.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I'd buy a Nissan GT-R with that scratch. The only thing that keeps it from being a perfect car is the paddles instead of a third pedal ... but that is a big thing with me. Checks off every other box and, relative to the cost of serious supercars, doesn't possess a really outrageous price tag.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Now that I have the money to buy a hot car (Alice would object, but we could swing it without too much stress), I live in a place where it would be insane to own one. Six months of garaging, then driving on overcrowded roads at no speed. Not to mention I'd rather drive blindfolded and drunk at Talladega than brave the average Massachusetts mall/shopping center parking lot.

Chef2 likes this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

We went to get dinner a couple of weeks back, and parked outside was a pristine (well driven, but very clean) BMW 2002 tii. Dark green. Did not have the heavy and ugly 1974 5 mph bumpers. Just cherry.

Leno has a 2002 resto-rod with the engine, trans, and brakes from an '89 E30 M3, the first M3. I flat loved that one. The car hits my unicorn spot. I have a very similar feel for the Datsun 510, which is another very fast. It's from the same production years as the 240z, but was the car they raced. It was stupid fast and handled great.

Here. Just hit the first ten seconds. Personally, I don't like the fart can exhaust note. I think a Borla or something would be better, but that's a matter of taste. Anyhow, good stuff.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I would take the "Z" without hesitation. Then again, I drove a "Z" as a teenager.

The trick to the '70s-era Zs is making sure you put a spoiler under the front bumper. Datsun/Nissan designed a great car with one noticeable flaw ... they built something a little too close to a wing. It had an issue with lifting the nose. The key on the '77 I drove was dropping it an inch on all four corners and putting a spoiler on the front to help keep the nose planted. Racing brakes on the front allowed for bigger pads and calipers.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

For the youngsters.

The Pete Brock Datsun 510. 1971.

1971_Datsun_510TransAm1.jpg

Bob Sharp enjoyed great success in SCCA with a 510, as did his teammate, Paul Newman. Both also raced the 240 Z.

3939536568_b71b6b360f_b.jpg

misterbc likes this.
  7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not a car guy. ... But that 240Z really made me think of a car one of my best high school friends had when we got our licenses. I think it was the 300ZX, and Datsun may have already become Nissan. None of us had cars like that, I didn't have one at all -- I drove my mom's Toyota Corolla (which was the size of a matchbox back then), but his parents could afford this and indulged him.

It was very similar to this. ...

[​IMG]

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

By the late 1970s that aero / wedge body style was everywhere.

1979_mazda_rx-7_154422532481e4682b046ccc05DSC_0040-940x563.jpg Ritz Carlton 2017_211_Porsche_1987_924 S_Cope_WP0AA0922HN452147_Overall.jpg 1978_porsche_928_155447123595d565ef66e7dDSC2396-940x627.jpg 32245_54348_54348.jpg triumph_79_tr7_101.jpg

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Everywhere.

1979-Fiat-X1-9.jpg aston-martin-lagonda-1976-1987-wallpaper-649-1.jpg stroj_big_zoom_15067.jpg bmw-m1_frontside.jpg 2.jpg

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Of those, my favorite was the Lancia Stratos, the greatest rally car ever made.

lancia-stratos-1.jpg

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

And just for Ragu, the second greatest Citroen in history, the '79 CX Athena.

CIMG-1875-1.jpg

Citroen's concept car that year, the Karin, looked like this:

1_weird_Citroen_Karin.png

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You have a really good memory.

I am not all in on Citroen. But I'm in love with old Deux Chevauxs, which are the anti muscle car.

[​IMG]

V's uncle had one that looked like the one above, but it was in pretty rough shape. He drove it all over this little village, into the fields, etc. I believe it had a 2 cylinder engine, which probably wasn't much more than 2 horse power, but it had a chassis made to traverse a moon landing.

A few years ago, he was thinking about getting rid of it, and I was a whisker away from making him an offer and shipping it over here. I did all my research about how to get it across, the cost,etc.

They actually fetch decent money here, and with what he would have given it to me for and the boat ride over, even with the work it required if I could find someone to do it (I am intimidated and worthless with cars), I probably could have sold it for a profit. But I was really only interested in it for myself, and after giving it some thought, I decided the cost of garaging it, and for the amount I would actually ever drive it, it would not have been my smartest decision. He ended up selling it to a guy a village over for a pittance.

Draft saved Draft deleted