1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next up: Chicago Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, Nov 20, 2019.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

And seven other outlets. Not just Chicago Tribune.

Only question is the timeline of when the next round of gutting starts.

Another FU from sexual predator and anti-Semite Michael Ferro, selling his shares to those fucking bloodsuckers.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I was just on Google News. They had two headlines up on this. Something of a difference in tone.

From the second link:

"Ferro — who had enthralled the industry in his relatively brief tenure heading Tribune, and who had brought such laughter into the world through his gift of Tronc — had pulled off a magnificent disappearing act. To his would-be peers in the industry, frequent targets of his disdain, he’s departing appropriately enough, with a signature fuck-you. Who better to sell his Tribune stake — the one his group of Chicago investors had bought at bargain-basement prices, and which, ridiculously, gave him effective control of Tribune — to than the only man in the industry more reviled: Freeman, whose Alden has become the face of bloodless strip-mining of American newspapers and their communities."

Hedge fund Alden becomes Tribune’s largest shareholder

Newsonomics: By selling to America’s worst newspaper owners, Michael Ferro ushers the vultures into Tribune

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Ferro’s an asshole but it’s not his fault that newspapers are dead outside of the big boys.

5. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Get off Google News, dude. They are a part of the problem.

bpoindexter and rtse11 like this.
  6. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

It's kind of his fault for mismanaging the company and pretty much stealing tens of millions of dollars after leaving.

7. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

9. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have lost track of this saga, but the Trib had put a poison pill in preventing Alden from accumulating more shares. But I think they had to give Alden several board seats. And I am pretty sure someone sued over the poison pill -- something like it giving existing shareholders discounted stock if Alden kept buying. The article doesn't address it. Unless that was resolved, how does Alden get a majority stake?

Also, Patrick Soon-Shiong owns almost as much of the company as Alden. Presumably, even if the poison pill is addressed, Alden would have to knock his socks off to get him to sell, And I somehow don't see Alden as willing to pay the premium you'd expect it to take. I wish I could be a fly on the wall during those discussions, though.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There isn’t any industry to save.

Readallover, stix, Bronco77 and 4 others like this.
  12. stix

stix Well-Known Member

This.

I get as angry as anyone over the asshole vultures who pick apart what's left of newspapers, mostly because I think there's absolutely no difference between a pure capitalist and a sociopathic asshole. And it's frustrating that they line their pockets while the likes of us suffer.

But I honestly grow tiresome of the suit-bashing. What's the point? Not that they don't deserve it, but newspapers aren't dead because of them. They're dead for the same reason countless other industries have died: The world changed. Newspapers are an outdated business model. The way in which people consume information has changed drastically, and the old model is dead, whether we like it or not. There's no kind-hearted stewards to save them, unless someone wants to subsidize the entire enterprise just because they love it. If you're in that camp, then you probably aren't enough of an asshole to acquire the money necessary to save newspapers, anyway.

Vulture capitalists have always chewed on newspaper companies. It's just that there used to be enough fat to go around. That's over now.

Draft saved Draft deleted