1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Muscle Cars

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Aug 29, 2019.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

My wife is going to hate you when there's a triple black Porsche sitting in our driveway when she gets home from her conference. :D

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

My folks knew a couple in South Georgia who owned a pair, his and hers.

I remember one being stolen in Atlanta. Guy drove it south on I-75, ducked the cops and state patrol in two states. They found it in a parking deck in Tampa a couple of days later.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Another fastback, the '68 Torino GT - especially the 428 Cobra Jet - was more memorable.

534911.jpg

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

First car I ever owned. Belvedere with the Commando 383 V-8. Pushbutton automatic.

45cd0b34052a174e57ce8a00d752f56a.jpg

The 413 Max Wedge Fury version was a monster.

1963-fury.jpg

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

My '72 Charger had that 383. I could see the gas gauge go down when I opened it up on the blacktop roads outside my home.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

When I was in 16 or 17, I knew a guy whose father owned a service station. He drove a hopped up '56 Chevy, electric blue metalflake, 3 speed Hurst, Cragar mags, the whole deal. He'd put a lot of work into it. Then he decided to sell it, wanted $1,500 for it. I wanted that car soooo bad. I got my father to go look at it with me. So he looks at it, and then starts it up, listens to the engine. He looks at my friend, "Got a cam in it?". They discussed a few arcane points that I didn't know enough to follow very well, he thanked the kid, and we headed out.

"So what do you think? It's a helluva nice car."

"Yeah, sure is. No way in hell I'm buying you that car, you'll kill yourself in a month in that thing. Even if you don't, I can't afford the tires you'll burn off of it, and you damn sure can't".

qtlaw likes this.
  9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Lucky enough to spend a lot of time in Europe the last ten years, where I grew to appreciate the subtlety of German muscle cars. Most especially the hotrod station wagons like this one.

Mercedes / AMG 600-horspower twin turbo V-8. BMW and Audi both make a version of the same thing. Zoom.

2018-mercedes-amg-e63s-wagon.jpg

I always get a kick out of seeing these with a mom and a dad in front and a couple kids in back with the groceries going 200 kph on the Autobahn.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

There we go, Azrael. A grocery hauler that ... hauls.

Bonus points if it has a third pedal. A friend of mine from college still has his BMW wagon with a stick. We talked a lot about unicorn vehicles like that the last time we hung out.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Eureka.
    Gotta get home quick in that so the ice cream don't melt.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Forget buying ice cream. That thing has enough torque to help mix homemade ice cream.

Chef2 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted