1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AV Club's 100 best films of the '10s

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cosmo, Nov 18, 2019.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Get Out is way too low. I'm not usually a big fan of thrillers or horror films, but I thought it was great.

I am the target audience for the MCU movies, but it struck me as well that they were left off entirely, but they included the Magic Mike sequel. That tells me they were leaning into the backlash rather than trying to put together a genuine list. The Winter Soldier is a fantastic movie. If they just put that one on the list, I'd have been fine with it, but to leave them all out tells me they were trying to stir shit up rather than actually put out an accurate list.

Batman likes this.
  2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I really like the AV Club's TV review crew, but this list certainly misses the mark in several ways.

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Not having The Big Short on this list destroys its credibility.

I can see a movie snob riding their high horse past the MCU, but The Big Short is fantastic.

bigpern23 likes this.
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I saw six of these movies out of 100, and I have no guilt whatsoever. I agree with whoever said that ignoring a decade's dominant genre substitutes snobbery for criticism. It's like leaving Gone With the Wind out of a similar list for the '30s.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

This thread was misleading.

6. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

7. outofplace

More than anything, that destroys the credibility of the list.

8. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

The best superhero movie of the decade was on the list: Into the Spider-Verse.

I couldn't even say what my favorite movie of the last decade was. But not Mad Max or any of the ones mentioned here. Maybe Begin Again.

Azrael likes this.
  9. outofplace

That's another one that belongs on the list ahead of much of the crap they chose.

Into the Spider-Verse was a good choice. I wouldn't go so far as to say it was the best superhero movie of the decade, but it is unique and very good.

10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Was Inside Out on this list?

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Or a thumbs up to what Scorsese and Coppola said.

Draft saved Draft deleted