1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Vegetarians and Vegans Think They Are Better Than Everyone Else?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Throw in Cross Fit folks and people who own Jeeps.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

6. TheSportsPredictor

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Buck likes this.
  8. TheSportsPredictor

9. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Same thing I say when people talk about Southerners/some progressives/Christians, etc. "This is why people hate us."

Okay, to be fair, I'm not a vegan, I just eat a plant-based diet mostly for health reasons. Yes, I do have some ethical considerations about how we feed ourselves. Thing is, my diet is not something everyone can thrive on, it's not something everyone can afford, it's not accessible to everyone for a variety of reasons, in some cases, people simply don't want to eat the way I do and it's really none of my business if they make that choice.

So, uh, here's where I get pedantic. (Oh, really? Oscar? You? NO!)

Vegans, REAL vegans, don't use anything that requires harm to an animal. That means no meat, no dairy, no honey, no leather, no wool. When you see someone in UGGS shrieking about their neighbor's "plate full of death!!!!!OMGWTF!!!!111BBQ!!!" they are full of nonsense. They may not eat meat and they may be keeping the Silk people in business, but they are not vegans.
    • I will never leave the Southeastern US because too many Yankees and British people look blank when I ask them about sourwood honey.
    • I knit.
    • When I am doing fieldwork and someone offers me a plate of greens with what is probably their nicest bit of ham hock in it, I am going to eat it and tell them that was the best tasting bit of pig I've had in quite some time. I once had to talk one of my colleagues out of leaving another colleague on the side of a very, very remote dirt road after they sniffed and excused themselves when presented with a plate of fried chicken. I was tempted to spin my wheels and dust them, but, no.
    FWIW, I've spent the last three months depressed, sick, hurting, and very feckin' sore after abusing my body with an awful diet, crippling depression, and a lot of stress.* Now that I've crawled from the wreckage, the least I can do for myself is eat the way I need to eat. It's not an indictment of anybody's burger. It's just how I have to eat to keep from further embarrassing trips to the doc. I'm happy to answer questions when people on the ground look askance. I'll be happy to answer questions here.

I probably know more vegan/vegetarian jokes than you'd think.

Here's one of my favorites:

Can vegans eat bacon?
    It depends on who's watching.

h/t to Garrison Keillor

*I owe some DMs and emails. Those will get answered.

3_Octave_Fart likes this.
  10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I hope your health is fully restored.
    None of us are getting any younger and could use a more wholesome diet.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Right there — right there — you just turned in your Uneasy Rider peace sign.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

The Do Drop Inn is never paving that parking lot.

Draft saved Draft deleted