1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AV Club's 100 best films of the '10s

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cosmo, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The A.V. Club's 100 best movies of the 2010s

Interesting list, and a surprising No. 1. I've seen quite a few of these and would like to catch some more before the end of the year.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

The ones in the top 10 that I did see are fine but not great IMHO. Except Tree of Life, which was painfully boring. Literally minutes of that movie are just waves breaking and hearts beating. Yawn.

I enjoy The Social Network, particularly its douchey portrayal of the Winklevii, whom I interviewed in high school when they were rowing crew. They are condescending shit bags.

Lady Bird is too cute by half. In the opening scene (or close to it), the girl gets into an argument with her mother and opens the door of a moving car and plunges out and breaks her arm, basically just to spite her mother. That's absurd and is no way indicative of how she really is. She's a tough nut, but she's not a reckless sociopath. That movie basically lost me in the first scene.

Wenders likes this.
  3. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

1) Max Max? I remember seeing that movie, leaving in the middle to go to the can and and answer a text, coming back, and saying to the person I was with, "Did I miss anything?" and her answering "no."

9) Phantom Thread. An absolutely awful movie. Beautiful-looking at times, but it's a well-dressed bucket of shit.

I saw those in the top ten and didn't need to see any more.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I find lists like this dispiriting generally. This one is sort of specifically clickbait-y.

Any list of this kind not including Pawlikowski's 'Ida' or Sorrentino's 'La Grande Bellezza' doesn't want to be taken very seriously.

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Though a big movie fan, I hardly saw any of the movies on that list. Obviously my tastes aren't film critic-y enough. And the ones on the list that I did see, most are hugely overrated (Mad Max, Inception, Wolf of Wall Street).

The Social Network gets my top vote, but I also would have included The Founder, Detroit, Logan Lucky, The Big Short, and Under the Silver Lake.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

There were some better movies than more than a few of these. Magic Mike? C'mon.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

This really reinforces for me just how few movies I see now. I've seen one film on that list.

I was a film major.

Huggy and Captain_Kirk like this.
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Two surprises, other than Mad Max at No. 1:

1) Can't believe that Get Out was so low. That movie was so universally loved and praised on so many levels that I'm shocked it wasn't at least in the Top 10. Honestly wouldn't have surprised me if they'd put it at No. 1. I doubt many would have argued.

2) No MCU movies. Yeah, they got a bit formulaic as the series went on. But there are still a couple that are have a noteworthy place in Hollywood history (Black Panther, Avengers), are held up as among the best of the genre (Winter Soldier) or were such big events that they at least deserve a place near the bottom of a Top 100 list for the way they lived up to the hype (Avengers, Infinity War, Endgame).
    Comic book movies were the dominant genre of the decade, like it or not. Not including any of them in a Top 100 list is a bit of a Fail.

bigpern23 and outofplace like this.
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Mad Max is really really good.

The Master is brilliant for 2 hours. It just falls apart at the end. PTA didn’t really know how to finish it.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Agree that Mad Max is a pretty great film.

That said, Miller had to wait for CGI to catch up to his original vision for the series. He's made this movie before. Several times.

So I'm not sure I'd put what amounts to a remake at the top of a list like this.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

And how is 'Birdman' not on this list?

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

"Hey Johnny, the site's slipping lately. We need to do something to boost web strikes so we hit our quotas this month."
    "OK, have that new guy put together a listicle of the top 100 movies from maybe the worst decade in cinema ever. That will get us halfway there."

poindexter likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted