1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bizarre editorial from the Northwestern student newspaper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

So is Northwestern’s journalism school unaccredited now? Why would you send your kids to an unaccredited school?

2. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

OK, Boomer.

You keep digging yourself into a hole. It's like every subsequent post keeps getting dumber and dumber.

3. Severian

Fox & Friends

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'm very sorry, Alma. I'll try to treat the ridiculous sock puppet with more respect.

Please, Fredrick, the floor is yours. Alma wants to hear more of your insights about snowflakes and participation trophies.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don't, actually. But countering Fredrick seems especially important to you. Why? Are you under the impression the sock puppet is influential?

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Nope. Just find him remarkably annoying.

7. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Fredrick rules. Leave him alone. He’s half the reason I come to this board

8. Severian

Is that you, Frederick, posting on your alternate account?

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Well, exactly. Boomers are the grandparents of today’s millennials. As a for sure Gen X member, I got a very late start on a family. We praise our kids a lot, but we don’t coddle them. I hope we’re preparing them to become independent, free-thinking, traveling bone adults who can make their way in the world. And if they don’t develop a well honed bullshit detector, it won’t be for lack of an example.

I’ve never understood the everyone gets a trophy thing, and if I had to guess, I reckon most of those kids getting a participation trophy think it’s kind of ridiculous, too. Take the team out for pizza. They’ll appreciate that more than some hunk of plastic.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Early millennials - those born in the early 80s - were born to late Boomers. That’s millions and millions of those folks.

11. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I don't like the injustices in the profession, the bad decisions made through the years by yes men and women whom wear the suits, the purpose of the business seemingly to boost a couple people at the top of groups trying to make land grabs and bleed the properties, the cold ways of getting rid of established superstars, the forcing wink wink of working 60 and getting paid for 40, the loyalty of journalists going not only unrewarded but spit upon and the poor decisions made initially regarding websites and paywalls. I try to point them out when upset.
    But do you have to go to all your kids' games and events and never let them be on their own for ... anything?

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Maybe one of the things journalism needs to question is journalism.

Draft saved Draft deleted