1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bizarre editorial from the Northwestern student newspaper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Nov 11, 2019.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Oh, stop. I'm going to criticize the world's most poorly written sock puppet. If this guy is real it's a terrible commentary on who is actually employable in the business.

You going to ignore the ignorance of what he actually has to say, or just be pleased he's attacking the same groups you do?

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Third-person Fredrick's never done much for me. But, like I said, there's a few show ponies here like that, and hey, takes all kinds.

You attacked the one who didn't agree with your politics.

3. PCLoadLetter

And you're defending the ridiculous, fake poster who agrees with your politics.

Feel free to travel through the J Board and see my history of posts with regard to "Fredrick." This was one of the nicer ones, and the first one in response to anything political.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

As a housekeeping aside, I have many of the usual suspects on Ignore.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No, I’m not agreeing with him. I’m wondering why, all of the sudden, you waded through. I mean, I’m not wondering. I know why. I’m just curious if your vigilance against sock puppetry works both sides of the political aisle

6. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

7. PCLoadLetter

Waded through plenty before, but whatever. Point out a sock puppet on the left and I'll be happy to issue a Strongly Worded Statement.

Would you like to address the post I responded to? Fredrick is very concerned about the Democrats grilling witnesses with no Republicans allowed in the room. Any thoughts on that, since my criticism of that post is so concerning?

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Don't know if he's a sock puppet, but Frederick is either an idiot or a sackless clown. He's whined on here for years about the suits making him work 12-hour days, seven days a week -- which he's most likely lying about. If he isn't, get a new job.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Various staffers also described Sessions’s appearance on campus as traumatizing, suggesting that, during such events, it’s best not to act as a reporter but as a fellow student, making sure the traumatized are okay.

The bubble these students are living in is a real concern to me, and if that's makes me the get-off-my-lawn guy, fine. I just can't read the word "trauma" anymore around this.

fossywriter8 likes this.
  10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I am an old person who defends the younger generation as much as anyone here, but I just can't help but read these as Onion quotes. Good god.

Fredrick and cake in the rain like this.
  11. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

That stood out to me, as well as the staffers’ thoughts on the reaction from “old media” confirming their stance.

Still, if I had to pick the future vanguards of the profession, I wouldn’t spend too long considering the folks watching reality TV in the newsroom. They’ll make great paralegals and RNs, I’m sure.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Like Alma, I assume the "staffers" mentioned above are the kids from the English department, not the journalism majors.

Draft saved Draft deleted