1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chef reviews Popeye's Chicken Sandwich

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

After the soccer games I covered today, I stopped at a Popeyes. Though they had signs saying they had them (and signs at the register saying they were limited to two per order), they were sold out.

Are they really that good? Why is there such a demand for them and do these stories of people fighting each other over them and threatening to kill each other over them drive up the demand somehow (sort of like the stories of people fighting each other for the last hot Christmas toy in a given year)?

If they had enough that they didn't sell out so often and everyone who wanted one could have one, would the demand go down?

It seems like it's a case of if everyone could have one, nobody would want one. Is that really true?

I've never understood the reasoning behind that.

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Wouldn’t be surprised to find out in a couple of years it was Russian bots on social media stirring up Popeyes mania. Probably as a test run for the main event a year from now.

Driftwood and Neutral Corner like this.
  3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I had it yesterday. It's better than Chik-fil-A. Don't get the issue with the bun, but to each his own. I'm going to try the spicy version after the hype dies down.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

By the grace of Tebow I had my first Popeyes sandwich today. Everyone said get the spicy, so I got the spicy and it’s too hot. Next time we’ll go normal and we’ll see how many toes up.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Oh for crying out loud Beulah, it's not hot.
    It's got a little spice to it.
    Now, if they made that sandwich in a Nasville Hot variety, eureka.
    I'm kidding of course.....I have a bit of a spicy palette. I can eat the spiciest of spicy and the hottest of hot.......as long as it's got good flavor. Like the blazing wings deal at BWW. I may try that at some point. I've had some say that the Blazing actually has some flavor to it.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I had some Nashville Hot Dry Rub wings at a local spot the other night that gave me all sorts of wing regret. I had tasted them before, and they weren't nearly that hot. My lips were numb by the end of it. Flavor was great though.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Where at?

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Cobra Cabana, where the old Black Sheep was on Marshall behind VCU

9. Smallpotatoes

Why can't they just make more and keep more in stock so they don't sell out? Or is that part of the appeal?

10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Chef2 likes this.
  11. Smallpotatoes

"Wow people are fighting each other over this. It must really be good."

People really think that way?

And I don't but the "If everyone could have one, nobody would want one" crap.

12. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Do you remember the cabbage patch kid craze? Once they had enough, they rotted on shelves.

Draft saved Draft deleted