1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It’s over... Disney wins

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Scout, Aug 25, 2019.

1. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

None of that was added in to Endgame. But some scenes are available to watch as extras with commentary over them.

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

3. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I wonder why they made that call with The Simpsons when they left a lot of the other old animated shows like X-Men and Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends untouched.

4. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I have a three-tape boxed set of the first installments of the Star Wars movies and I'm going to be very sad when they are no longer playable. The "fixes" don't phase my friends' kids and grandkids, but they bother me. To self: Okay, GenXer.

To be fair, one of my friends' grandkids is fascinated by the original films. "It's like it's all about the story!" He's ten. This makes me happy.

Willow holds up quite well. It's all about the story. (Gonna say that Warwick Davis' turn as Willow Ulfgood probably helped pave the way for the powers that be to consider Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Whateverhisnameis.)

Please post your thoughts after you get a chance to see it.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's good. I like it better that way. I'm curious to see some of the content that was cut, but they should leave the theater version alone.

6. outofplace

My guess is that they care more about The Simpsons. It was a higher-profile get for them and it is a big part of the advertising for Disney+. I'm far more likely to watch the other stuff you mentioned, but the average consumer is not.

JRoyal likes this.
  7. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

True. But that almost seems like a reason not to do anything to them. Let the fans have the original episodes like they ran instead of messing with them. Or offer both versions.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I watched it last night (it looks really good in 4K) and the Greedo scene is so ridiculous. Also, I haven't watched it in a long time, but it's so obvious in hindsight why they left the Jabba scene on the cutting room floor originally (where it should have stayed). It's largely redundant to the Greedo scene. We don't get any new information that wasn't established in the cantina scene and the conversation is, in part, almost word-for-word the same as his conversation with Greedo.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I tossed mine years ago after I ditched my VCR, but I regret it. The attack on the Death Star was made better by the changes, but that's about it. Many of the rest are distracting, if not downright infuriating (e.g., Greedo, Jabba, the silly droid punching down another droid as they enter Mos Eisley, the song in Jabba's Palace, the final celebration song of Return of the Jedi, etc.).

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I absolutely hate the Jabba scene. Jabba was always this big, immovable, disgusting blob. And suddenly he's the same height as Han and can walk? Bullshit.

bigpern23, Driftwood and OscarMadison like this.
  11. outofplace

The worst part of it is so many young fans never saw the original. I don't think they even realize Han shot first. I enjoy showing the uninitiated the Youtube video with the the Jabba scene side-by-side with the way it was originally shot, with the human being in a costume. The reactions are always entertaining.

I really do wish they would release the original cut on DVD. Let fans watch the version they want. I find myself wondering how Lucas can possibly think the newer version is better, then I remember that he thought Jar-Jar Binks was a good idea.

OscarMadison and bigpern23 like this.
  12. outofplace

That's what they should do. Leave it hell alone.

JRoyal and OscarMadison like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted