1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2019-2020 college hoops thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

MVC does this. Northern Iowa beat No. 1 North Carolina four years ago.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Sorry, no. The Missouri Valley Conference plays a lot bigger than too many power-conference sorts are willing to give them credit.

Hmm ...
    UMBC over Virginia
    Lehigh over Duke
    Mercer over Duke
    Coppin State over South Carolina
    Weber State over North Carolina
    Hampton over Iowa State

That's MEAC (times two), Big Sky, America East, Patriot League and SoCon ... all of which are not better than The Valley.

Thought about adding Princeton, but the Pete Carril Factor could stir up debate on magnitude of upset.

And those are all NCAA Tournament. Regular season? C of C over North Carolina.

Evansville over Kentucky is a stunner without question. But pulling out Chaminade is a little too much hyperbole.

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

A lot of neutral floors in that above post.

This was pretty big. It’s still not Chaminade, but Evansville hasn’t done anything since they wore sleeves. That was them, right?

And, Walter McCarty did it! Take him off the alumni mailing list right fucking now!

4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Evansville plays something called Ind.Kokomo next.

They have not been to the big dance this century, and it’s been 30 years since they won an NCAA tourney game.

The MVC wasn’t building it’s rep off of these guys, until last night.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I saw the Kentucky-Evansville game on the sched last night and instead of watching it -- or even checking in on the score -- I made the woeful decision to watch the entire Knicks game. New York has a lot of left-handed shooters, I'll grant them that. Otherwise they are freaking terrible. Oh, and screw Calipari and Kentucky, the Alabama of college basketball.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I was under the weather yesterday, and was under my big heavy weighted blanket pretty much all day and night yesterday.
    I watched the entirety of Evansville @ Kentucky.
    You talk about a team not giving a shit. Holy cow.....it's like it was the last game before Thanksgiving or Christmas break. Except it wasn't.
    I love Kentucky fans that sit right behind the bench. They caught several views of them, and it just looked like a bunch of entitled, spoiled brats that whenever things don't go their way.....it has to be the officials fault. Then these smarmy assistant coaches that Cal has. Just a 10 on the slime-o-meter.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

If we're going strictly by the Vegas line, UVA was a 20-point favorite (and lost by that exact amount) and Kentucky was a 25-point favorite. Even adjusting for home vs. neutral, though, I think the stakes and the history mean that UMBC still holds the crown.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Also, I can't stress enough that you really do hate to see it.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Alabama football loses.
    Kentucky basketball loses.
    That's a mighty fine week in Big Orange Country.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And much of Vegas didn't even hang a money line last night, too lopsided and who's gonna look at that in mid-November? For UMBC, at least you'd have gotten that chance to bet them straight-up because it was the tournament.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I don’t know if Kentucky is a Final Four team but Alabama still has a decent chance to be one. Calipari didn’t sound so upset last night. He sounded more like he bet a hundred on Evansville but is kicking himself for not betting a thousand.

Chef2 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted