1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2019-2020 college hoops thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Nov 5, 2019.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Shocking.
    Awaiting the Penny Hardaway statement in response.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Be still my Big Orange heart.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

You can't have it both ways, Memphis. You can't offer your "support" for a corrupt coach and claim you'll accept the blame for violations.
    This was entirely predictable. If absolutely nobody knew about this other than Hardaway, one of two things is probably true: 1) They didn't ask him about the sudden move of Wiseman when they were interviewing Hardaway; and/or 2) He didn't tell them.

"The University of Memphis has high standards of ethical conduct for all faculty, staff and students, and we take seriously any allegations or conduct that is not aligned with our mission. We will acknowledge and accept any responsibility for proven violations of NCAA bylaws. The University of Memphis firmly supports James, Coach Hardaway and our men's basketball program in this matter."

4. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Memphis got an emergency restraining order that allowed the kid to play tonight.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Utah sets a record for point differential against a D-1 opponent beating Mississippi Valley St. by 94, 143-49.

But, it's not even the biggest point differential of the night because Grambling beat something called Ecclesia by 95, 147-52.

On Blowout Friday, 6 other teams won by more than 50 points: Towson, Yale, Cal Baptist, Utah State, Georgia Southern and Campbell.

And 9 more teams won by 40 or more, including the more expected powerhouses like Kentucky and Memphis.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Surely that judge has courtside seats.

7. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

Should have just gotten FedEx to help like Calipari did

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Looks like we'll have three No. 1 teams in three weeks. Kentucky just lost at home to Evansville, 67-64.
    I don't know anything about Evansville's team this year, but does this rank in the pantheon of great upsets? Or at least great regular season upsets?

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Didn't know that Walter McCarty coached Evansville. How great to come back home and do that.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I only just learned from Twitter that Walter McCarty is Evansville's coach. Since I covered him in college and with the Celts, all I know about the game is that I am old.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Biggest upset in college basketball since Chaminade over Virginia.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Regular season, at least.
    UMBC over Virginia in the Tournament seems bigger overall because of the stakes and historical factor. This won't keep Kentucky out of the Tournament -- although it'll be interesting to see how Evansville's season turns out and how much this helps with their seeding or status as a potential at-large.

Draft saved Draft deleted