1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bizarre editorial from the Northwestern student newspaper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don’t think you’re “telling on yourself”

I also don’t think the editor is playing the race card, per se.

My sense is this editor is feeling some expectations/weight/responsibilities/cultural sensitivities that other editors didn’t feel. That’s not all a bad thing.

The biggest issue I have with the ed is that it’s vague, using buzzword language that doesn’t clearly explain what happened. Almost like it’s a conversation to one small, specific group of people who wanted an apology.

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

These are both good points. Indeed, one of the tells about whether you should be in journalism, ever, or anymore, is if/when you get too bothered, yourself, by bothering people. I had a friend on my college newspaper who was like that. He admitted to hoping, when he called someone, that they would not be home, not answer, that he'd go to voicemail, etc. And he wound up not making a career of journalism.

That wasn't the case with me! And it's still not. I'm still willing to ask anybody just about anything, if I really want or need to know...

And, social media has indeed changed everything about how journalism is now done. Sometimes, I think, we of the previous generation wouldn't even call it journalism, but it is what passes for it these days. It's just the way things are now.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

To answer a question about the paper's status in the university:

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

If you think that this particular issue is about the fundamental tenant of journalists “bothering” people, it’s not. It’s about The kind of thinking that goes into issuing an apology *for* being a journalist. Why would the paper apologize? When has a paper ever apologize for something like calling up a person out of the blue?

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't say the profs should be ashamed -- maybe just the paper's faculty advisor, if they have one -- but they better make darned sure it's a teaching moment. This is Journalism 101 stuff. I mean, how else are you planning on reaching sources? I would argue that sliding into someone's Instagram DMs is far more intrusive than a published school directory, but all of that is also FAIR GAME in this business. Save the apologies for when you really screw up -- and you will, and that's OK.

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Excuse me? You wanna take this further?

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

If I said I *don’t* think you’re telling on yourself then no, I don’t want to take it any further.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I agree that it’s a teaching moment.

But these students know how to reach sources. This isn’t about Journalism 101. The apology is rooted in progressive ideology.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Oh, to be young and have "trauma" mean having a photo with your face, at a public event, show up on social media.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

What the hell does "Retraumatizing" mean?

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

How upsetting this must be for you.

What did you mean to imply when you typed "play the race card"?

12. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I've explained it already. Why is he bringing up his race when this has nothing to do with race? What does his race have to do with anything?

Draft saved Draft deleted