1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Corrections ... and all that Jazz

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, Nov 11, 2019.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Liut, Old Time Hockey and garrow like this.
  2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

LOL!

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

That's what happens when you get people on the copy desk who know nothing at all about sports. It always irked me when news desk copy editors used to take pride in not knowing anything sports-related.

wicked and PaperDoll like this.
  4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Maybe know nothing about sports. ... But the FT is also out of London (owned by the Japanese), so maybe don't know much about American sports teams or Salt Lake City, too, making it worse. Plus, FT Alphaville is a blog, not the FT itself. It's actually a really good blog for people who work in things related to capital markets .... but I am not sure how well, if at all, it is actually copy edited in real time. They throw stuff up there all day long.

5. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I know someone who was a contributor for Alphaville. From their description, the editing process is pretty thorough, especially when it comes to financial analysis.

EDIT: Just read the column and ... yeah ... maybe they let in-house staff get away with more. I got more insight from the SJ.com thread than that post.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted