1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 10)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

He can be as upset as he wants, but he went in from behind, studs up. The tackle didn't break Gomes's ankle, the collision or impact with the ground likely did, but Son set it in motion.

Plus, it came a couple of minutes after Son took an elbow to the face.

The red mist as they say. Red mist has consequences, unfortunately.

Good Lord, though, that was horrible. Was watching with my daughter and had to do a double-take when Gomes' ankle appeared to be facing the wrong fucking direction.

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Son earned that red card. I was shocked the ref reached for yellow first (probably needed to see the ankle pointing the wrong way).

I'm honestly shocked there wasn't a brawl in that game. Things were so chippy.

3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

That leg break was Kevin Ware-esque, especially in the faces of the crowd. There were two girls right there who looked like they were about to lose their lunches.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Poking around looking at different squads and was shocked to find the lone American on Hearts was ... wait for it ... a goalkeeper.

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

What I love about European soccer is that a crap game between two bottom dwellers like Watford and Norwich has huge stakes. Nice little start for my 'Orns, Deloufeu scoring 80 seconds in.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

OH MY GOD WATFORD ACTUALLY WON A PREMIER LEAGUE GAME. CHARTREUSE FOR EVERYONE!!!!

8. typefitter

Nine points separate 5th from relegation in the EPL. I can't decide if Burnley are having a great season or are in serious trouble.

9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

That piker Mo Salah scored today against some scrub Manchester club.

10. typefitter

He did, too. Now on pace for 19.

GREAT ball in by Robertson.

11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

And an even better ball from Alexander-Arnold to open up the attack. When Liverpool's fullbacks switch play like that, they can unlock any defense in the world.

12. typefitter

Liverpool play in a way... I don't know. I'd almost love to see them against a 90s club. They would cut them to pieces. To go clear up the field, and to set up essentially a sitter, with two passes in eight seconds, is totally ridiculous. And for both passes to come from fullbacks? Klopp is a genius, and he's changing the fullback position, and he's changing the press, and he's going to inspire all sorts of tactical changes in the defences that will have to try to stop him. Not many people change how the game is played. He's one of them.

Regan MacNeil likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted