1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-20 college football coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jlee, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

A lot of analysis I follow says Tony Elliott would be the best of Clemson’s choices.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I didn't really think so, but as an Indiana grad it's still mindblowing that someone (even an Indiana beat guy that has to fill space) would make that reach.

Donny in his element likes this.
  3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

4. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Scott has that Tallahassee history from his Dad. You know how much those geriatric Bowden boosters would love having someone they've known since he was running around on the field to coach their team.

And frankly someone has to start ripping apart that Clemson staff.

The hilarity of Tom Allen being rumored for the FSU job is...he was Willie Taggart's defensive coordinator at South Florida for a year or two.

I think the FSU job is two candidates deep right now, Fleck and Mark Stoops.

5. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Arkansas agrees: A D-I school can't possibly go wrong going after former Clemson assistants.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Venables will never be a head coach.

7. HappyCurmudgeon

Especially one they saw go 14-22 at SMU.

8. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

Fleck's buyout is now $10 million until 1/1/2021, when it drops to $4.5 million. Is that enough to prevent FSU from going after him? I don't know if they have that much floating around.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

They just dropped roughly 20 millon to dump Taggart.
    I don't know that it's that much more of a reach to go after Fleck.

10. HappyCurmudgeon

I don't think that buyout number goes into effect until December 13 right?

11. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

I wouldn't put it past him or any coach, but it would take a lot for Fleck to bail out now before that number takes effect after the lovefest over the extension. His whole culture schtick/brand would take a big hit.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Much easier for his boat to hit a manatee near Tallahassee/Leon County.

While I'm sure Florida State has some funds - I mean, $17-20M plus to pay off Taggart and his staff - a $10M buyout could be a bit much even for them.

Since some don't care who throws what against a wall to see what sticks, how about Mark Richt? Former Bowden assistant, will run a clean program, not go after kids who clog police blotters and wins. Yes, he's getting over some heart issues. So did David Cutcliffe before he took on what many saw as mission impossible in Durham.

Donny in his element likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted