1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time Change

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Driftwood, Nov 3, 2019.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I live in a state that is going permananet DST next spring so I have just one thing to say.

[​IMG]

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

We're in the western fringe of the Eastern time zone, so we get darker earlier than anybody. From Dec. 4 to Dec. 14, sunset is at 5:04 pm.

3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Um, a 5:04 sunset is for for pikers. A 4:11 sunset December 4 through December 13 in Boston.

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Your sun sets in the east? o_O

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ehh, no. As pointed out, sunset is 4:00ish on the eastern edge. So tough shit for me.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The next 5:04 p.m. sunset in Boston will be in the first week of February. November-January are like science fiction dark.

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I hate BBQing by flashlight. But one must do what one must do.

bigpern23 likes this.
  8. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Most nights we shut the cats out of the bedroom, but one of those two assholes is usually pawing at the door at about 5:30, singing the songs of his people. .... now it's happening at 4:30. Ugh.

The alternative is to leave the door open and have that fucker walking across your face.

Dog8Cats likes this.
  9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Or just leave an outside door open. Problem solved.

10. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I personally prefer the "just don't have pets" solution, but they pre-date me in the relationship.

How long do cats live????

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

As long as you want them to...

JK. Yeah, I have a cat right now that I inherited from my ex. This little prick was attacking her other animals, so she said she was either gonna put him down or I could take him. I am a sucker, so I took him. That was five years ago and he's now 11 or 12. My fiance freaking despises the cat. Complains all the time how much my place reeks of cat food or cat litter. That's one of the blessings from having broken my nose four times -- I can't smell shit.

12. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

We're down to 4:50 in my part of Colorado. We'll peak at 4:33. It always stinks especially with the shock of the time change. I think it would be better if it just gradually went there.

My son's flag football playoffs got postponed for two weeks because of a snow and we needed to practice this week so had a quick half hour with the last bit being fairly dark. Have to do what you have to do.

I've always sort of leaned on going standard time just because it still gets dark fairly late in the summer (close to 8 on standard time) and while I dislike the early sunsets, I think I would dislike the sun coming up at almost 9 even more. Lived in Arizona for a bit and standard time there, but then the sun came up at 4:30 in the morning in the summer too, so pluses and minuses. But I'd be in favor of just keeping one time regardless.

Draft saved Draft deleted