1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best/Worst Stadium Experiences

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Best absolutely has to be Arrowhead.
    Easy peasy parking.
    The tailgating.
    The smell of the food hits you from a mile away. It's incredible.
    Most of the people are next door neighbor friendly, even if you're an opponent.
    And this is OUTSIDE the stadium.
    Inside........it's very easy to get around. Not a bad seat in the joint, and it's louder than any other event you've been to.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

The Meadowlands blows, both for getting to and from and the tailgating experience.

RonClements likes this.
  3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

This will probably be slanted toward our team biases, but whatever.

Best: Capital One Arena for Caps/Wizards games. Metro lets you off right under the arena, and if you decide to drive, there are multiple cheap garages within a half-mile walk. Lots of restaurants and bars within a block or two of the arena, and the in-arena experience is great. ... Another vote: Siegel Center at VCU.

Worst: FedEx Field sucks. And quite honestly, the experience of going to a game in Blacksburg ain't great either. The parking is a mile away and getting out of town after a game is a slog.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Arrowhead is the best fan experience I've ever had.
    Noise soup is one thing but when the fans know exactly when to create it, it's a touch above.

Worst: Old Yankee Stadium. A urine-stanking dump.
    I'll never forget walking into the john as a kid and somebody was actually pinching a loaf in one of the sinks- and no one seemed to care.

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

That's no exaggeration. That place reeked of piss, like the ushers had coated the aisles with it before each game.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I almost enjoyed the experience of sitting in one of those seats at Fenway - I'd heard they were uncomfortable and they lived up to the rep.
    Cubs game - bleachers - maybe I just got lucky both games I went to but the people I sat around were tremendous.

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Chicago Stadium. Loved it. Miss it. Second place: St. Louis Arena.

Worst? Cannot really think of one.

BurnsWhenIPee and RonClements like this.
  8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The best place to watch baseball I ever experienced was to leave the baseball press box at Tiger Stadium and go down to the old football press box for when the Lions played there. Only accessible to press and stadium personnel, but it was great on a summer afternoon.

CD Boogie likes this.
  9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

10. Michael_ Gee

When the list of all-time dumps is named, the actual Orange Bowl should not be forgotten.

Cosmo likes this.
  11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Agree with how cramped Fenway is for a game, but my brother and I took a tour the morning of our game and had a great time visiting the Monster seats and going on the field. I'm almost more into stadium tours now than seeing games -- it's the only way I can get into press boxes now, haha.

RonClements likes this.
  12. Michael_ Gee

The Monster seats are a terrific novelty. Great place to watch a game -- once. Judging hits or outs by listening to the sound of the wall is not optimal.

Draft saved Draft deleted