1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brutal drug cartel slaying, burning

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Nov 5, 2019.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't really see a war growing out of Polygamy Cult vs. Drug Cartel.

Stranger things have happened, though.

2. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

The war of Jenkin’s Ear!

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

What if the United States went to Mexico and said "eh, fuck it, you wanna join America?" You think Mexican government would kick too much? I don't. Citizens would, I think. Maybe.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

New target practice for drones.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

From the Mexican government's perspective, you're giving up positions of privilege and national prestige, their attendant protections and patronage networks, the ability to guide the course of your country, and signing away your sovereignty to a country that has stolen your land, fought multiple wars against you, and made Mexico and its people the target of demagoguery for generations. Plus, even the most pessimistic, work-shy civil servant in Mexico who might be intrigued by your plan knows the gringos up north will react to the prospect of 125 million Mexicans becoming US citizens in a manner that would make Nigel Farage blush with embarrassment. So, yeah, color me skeptical.

Their men's soccer team wouldn't have to change too much, though. So they'd have that going for them, which is nice.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I’m aware of how awful this board thinks this country is.

If every Mexican got American citizenship, with the protections and freedoms that come from being America, i wonder if it’s a deal they’d take.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Nobody gives two f's about "the protections and freedoms" that come from being American. We're not that special, at least in this day and age.

What America has going for it is that it's a wealthy country, and that offers opportunity to people in poorer places. Mexico just happens to be very close, making migration relatively easy.

When the U.S. is in an economic expansion, the number of illegals looking for work increases. When there are crop failures in Mexico, the migration picks up. When there are factors in the U.S. that lead more employers to seek out low-wage, illegal Mexicans, the supply readily follows to meet the demand.

It's logical.

The vast majoity of those people weren't seeking "protections and freedoms." They are seeking work and a better wage, and the wealthiest nation in the world is right next door.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Hard to respond to a post with such an idiotic first sentence.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

And a lot of bad hombres that were down there before, are up here now.
    You don't wanna mess with those cats.

10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

There's really no point in responding to it at all.

It's a would-never-happen hypothetical. The GOP won't even allow statehood discussion for DC and Puerto Rico because it would add liberal voters to the EC. But they're suddenly going to allow 130 million Mexicans into the voter ranks?

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Eh. The shoe fits. It’s fashionable to hate what America is, how came into existence and what it was in the interim.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

D.C. already has three EC votes.

Draft saved Draft deleted