1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA Week 11

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

This is the big one.
    All times EST.
    Important numbers from vegasinsider.com

• Maryland (+42)@ 3.Ohio State—12 p.m., FOX (64)
    • 11.Baylor @ TCU (+1)—12 p.m., FS1 (52.5)
    • 5.Penn State (-7) @ 13.Minnesota— 12 p.m., ABC (48)
    • Vanderbilt @ 10.Florida (-25) — 12 p.m., ESPN (47)
    • East Carolina @23. SMU (-23.5)—12 p.m., ESPNU (68)
    • 20.Kansas State @ Texas (-5.5)—3:30 p.m., ESPN (58.5)
    • 1.LSU @ 2.Alabama (-6.5)—3:30 p.m., CBS (65)
    • UConn @ 17.Cincinnati (-34.5) —3:30 p.m., CBSSN (58)
    • 18.Iowa @ 16.Wisconsin (-8.5)—4 p.m., FOX (38)
    • Missouri @ 6.Georgia (-17)—7 p.m., ESPN (48.5)
    • 4.Clemson (-30.5)@ NC State—7:30 p.m., ABC (54)
    • 15.Notre Dame (-7) @ Duke—7:30 p.m., ACCN (52)
    • Iowa State @ 9.Oklahoma (-13)—8 p.m., FOX (67.5)
    • Wyoming @ 21.Boise State (-13)—10:15 p.m., ESPN (46.5)
    • Nevada @ 24.San Diego State (-17)—10:30 p.m., ESPN2 (40)

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

At first glance....

East Carolina (+23.5) and over 68.
    Oklahoma (-13)
    Baylor (-1)
    LSU @ Alabama OVER 65

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Question mark avatar courtesy @swingline.
    Thanks a lot, you Jayhawk bastards.

Wenders, swingline and Neutral Corner like this.
  4. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Don't know how long it will last, but it's nice to see San Diego State in the Top 25 games list. That said, I don't really feel the Aztecs are as good as their record suggests; the defense is outstanding, but their offense really struggles at times. Of course, Nevada is 5-4, but their four losses have been pretty bad ones (77-6 to Oregon and 54-3 to Hawaii among them).

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I got Penn State -6.5. Minny's perfect record has no big pelts on it. Time's up.

Outside the top 25, I can't believe Purdue isn't favored at Northwestern (they're around +1 or 2). Northwestern is horrible.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Purdue is starting its third-string quarterback, a former walk-on, for the rest of the season.
    Northwestern still sucks, though. Figured Purdue would be a decent favorite, maybe as much as five or six points.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Early picks, or at least games that caught my eye:

Ohio State -43 vs. Maryland -- Like a large but well-proportioned woman, that's a ton but not so much it's a total turnoff.

Illinois +14 1/2 @ Michigan State -- Illinois is kind of frisky and Michigan State feels like that team people just write down when they get to No. 25 on their ballots because they can't think of anyone else. Going back to last season, Michigan State has not scored more than 24 points in its last nine games played after Oct. 1, and has a total of 17 in its last three games this year. If Illinois can score two touchdowns, this one covers. In fact, Illinois +340 might be a worthwhile money line bet.

Penn State -6 1/2 @ Minnesota -- Like Playthrough said, this feels like the spot where Minnesota gets exposed against a legitimately good team. Only thing that scares me is that they're at home and this is the biggest game they've played in years. Might be a case where they rise up and keep it close.

Purdue Pick @ Northwestern -- See my post above. Northwestern is ass. Purdue is only the taint.

UTSA +4 1/2 @ Old Dominion -- Another dumpster diving special. UTSA is nothing special, but Old Dominion is even less special. It's 1-8, hasn't scored more than 17 points since winning its opener, and is basically Conference USA's answer to Rutgers.
    Of course, the last time I bet against Old Dominion they beat Virginia Tech. So what do I know?

Ole Miss -31 vs. New Mexico State -- Ole Miss can run the ball when it wants to. Which it does a lot, because it can't pass. It'll run wild against a bad New Mexico State team.

San Jose State +7 @ Hawaii -- @Spartan Squad has turned me on to San Jose State like a hipster touting his favorite indy band. Not a bad team, and this is a game they should probably win outright. Catching the points is just a bonus. No TV on this one, so refreshing my phone's web browser every 60 seconds at 1 a.m. might be a fun way to cap the night. Also, much like the other Sparty game, this one might be a good place to plunk down a few bucks on a money line bet. San Jose State is +230.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  8. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

It's early. I feel like Clemson (+30.5) is free money. With all the big games happening around the Tigers I can see them beating NC State 55-7 or something just to remind people who the champs are.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Penn State vs. Minnesota is the exposure bowl. Minnesota hasn't played anyone but Penn State didn't exactly look impressive in its wins against Iowa and Michigan.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Committee did a good job of sticking the G5 schools low enough where they can't cause any problems (but bunching them so closely together is a crock considering their resumes) - granted it's the first poll and meaningless, but the first poll typically guides the narrative.

Ohio State leads CFP top four of LSU, Bama, PSU

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

One of those four will not be in the top four next week unless NC State beats Clemson.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I think LSU beats Alabama.

Draft saved Draft deleted