1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Busch Light guy and the Des Moines Register

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

That was me, my dude lol.

2. Severian

Did you read his piece? There is plenty of blame to go around:

His direct editor: Wanted the racist information included in the story, with no
    thought on how that fit into the story.

Higher-up editors: Didn't stand up to Gannett when one of its employees was under
    attack.

Right-wing media: Because they saw the "media" attacking a white guy and
    immediately rush to his defense.

Ignorant readers: Because they believe the right-wing media's rhetoric.

Gannett: For bowing to public outcry because they didn't want the bad attention and
    knew they could easily get rid of a young reporter without any legal repercussions from a union.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

He reported on a guy with racist tweets in his timeline when he had racist tweets in his own damn timeline.

If I'm his boss, I don't want anyone that stupid working for me.

4. Severian

He said the tweet was a Kanye West lyric.

5. PCLoadLetter

Worked out nicely for him.

He learned how effective that defense is.

Sports Barf likes this.
  6. Severian

No one should tweet. Ever.

7. PCLoadLetter

Stupid people shouldn't tweet. Otherwise, not really that hard.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I read the piece.
    He made his choice once he found the information. The firing sucks, but he had a decision to make. Play moral police for web clicks or put all the info in context and decide if it's actually someone being racist or an idiot kid quoting a TV show. He tried to do both and it backfired.
    Everything that happened after he made his choice is a result of his decision. Personal responsibility exists. Own it.

9. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

On the personal responsibility, I did not like how much he went into King holding the press conference before the story came out, thus blaming King for pretty much all of it. Like King had some sort of obligation to wait for the story to come out first. Just such nonsense. He had no reason to wait for the story to come out to defend himself. He had no reason to be nice to the reporter that choose, right or wrong, to go with the info. He had to protect himself too in the situation. The reporter seemed to think because there was an apology and it was at the end of the story it was no big deal. Obviously that wasn't the case and King knew it wouldn't be. Just because they had been on good terms doesn't mean King needs to protect the reporter. Screw all that. And then had the guts to claim his tweets were no big deal either.

10. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

The worst impact of this guy long-term on the culture may be the wave of copycats: I counted at least 3 "please send me money" signs on GameDay last week, and there may have been more in the background.

11. Severian

What you'd need to do is have some hot sorority girl, preferably in a backward hat and crop top, hold the need-money sign with your payment information, preferably Venmo. Then, watch the money pour in.

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

That would be a form of metoo.

Draft saved Draft deleted