1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-20 college football coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jlee, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Stoops can afford to be picky. FSU's boosters have a level of power and influence that feels straight out of the 80's or 90's. Throw in that Jimbo left the cupboard pretty bare and that Taggart has not been able to reverse that as yet. Priority one for the new HC has to be finding high quality OL help before the early signing period, and I have to wonder how available that is. If Stoops is the hire, his name will help with that, but it's not like he's been on working recruits and has several in his pocket when he gets signed.

Mostly this was a gut comment, not analysis based. The program has looked very dysfunctional to me for several years, and I have not seen any evidence of effective leadership righting the ship. Stoops is like Urban, one of the few available hires that can afford to pass up a potentially very good situation because he does not like some part of the deal. He has some assurance that another quality program will take a run at him if he passes.

maumann likes this.
  2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

As downtrodden as Arkansas is at the moment, this is kind of a weird complaint to make (other than the improbability of jumping the three West powers). Three SECCG appearances are more than Kentucky, South Carolina, Vandy, Ole Miss and Mississippi State combined, and they compete pretty well in hoops and extremely well in baseball. The only team in the Big 12 they have meaningful history with is Texas. Mizzou, A&M, Ole Miss and LSU are all legitimate rivalries for them, and they're a good cultural fit in the SEC. It's the right conference for them, or at least not the wrong one.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

First off, sucking ass in the SEC still brings in a whole lot of money. It is hard to sell the Big 12 as a better conference overall, or that Arkansas would win it often, or possibly at all. They'd have a better chance, yes.

I would submit that they have a "meaningful history" with any of the former SWC schools, even if they are not burning rivalries.

Twirling Time likes this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Do local TV stations ever really break sports stories? I tend not to put much faith in scoops from local TV sports guy.

Funny thing about Smith at Oregon State - he might be one of the few second-year coaches who hasn't been a disappointment - shoot the Beavers were about as bad as they've ever been when he arrived and now they're in the hunt for a bowl?

Curious about the "No Meyer" thing at USC? Does the new Pres. think he's just too shady? Is Helton most definitely a goner? For what they want, they'll have to pay a lot more and I'm not certain they will find anyone who will get appreciably better results while running a clean program.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  6. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Most of your first paragraph is correct, except for the clout of the Boosters. It's the opposite, as far as influence of individual boosters (FSU does not have the volume of high-dollar supporters that old-money schools like UGa and UF have ... until the billionaire founder of Spanx decides to support ol alma mater, at least).

It's hard for me to deride an athletic department that has been as successful as it has with fewer resources than its peer flagship universities, including 7th (and atop the ACC) in latest Director's Cup, titles in multiple sports, postseason in nearly every sport, etc.

maumann likes this.
  7. DanOregon

Would Stoops be "that" much of a get? 20 years removed from his only national title?
    PJ Fleck picked a good time to sign the extension with Penn State, Iowa and Wisconsin in the next four weeks. What's crazy is, Minnesota hasn't had to "get up" for a game all year and they're still undefeated. Outside of Ohio State, the Big 10 doesn't really impress me, so even if the Gophs enter a Big 10 title game undefeated, I'm not sure how good they are.

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Stoops is still a name, and name coaches get hired if they want to get hired.

Example, Larry Brown. Admittedly, Brown might finally worn out his cheating-ass welcome, but it's not for lack of opportunities.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

FWIW, Gil Brandt has touted Mike Leach for the Fla. St. job.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

And KU.
    And USC.
    And UCLA.
    And Kentucky.
    And Miami.
    And North Carolina.
    And Arkansas.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. DanOregon

FSU should be a destination job - figure the fact they dumped Taggart before his second year was done will only raise the price they have to pay - to something like $40m over six.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

It should be, but people in and around Tallahassee still keep that Bobby Bowden comparison.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted