1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-20 MLB Running Hot Stove Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

J.D. Martinez does not exercise his opt-out. He's still a Red Sox, well, until they trade him anyway.

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Giants extend qualifying offers to Mad Bum and Will Smith. Bum will test the market but it will be interesting to see what Smith does.

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Depth is good, but $17.8M is a lot for a timeshare infielder, even in this day and age. There are enough red flags with him - heading into age 30+ seasons, hurt this year, below league average for range - that I can understand them not exercising the option. Would they now be free to try negotiating something lower money but longer term with him, or is this one of those things where they can't sign him until May now?

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The injury isn't all that worrisome — Tommy John is so good these days, it doesn't concern me moving forward. I wouldn't call him a timeshare IF, either. He'd be the starting SS with Torres the starting 2B. LeMahieu could be the starting 3B, but he can spell Torres and Gregorius when they need a day, which would get some at-bats for Urshela or Andujar.

And, as the saying goes, there's no such thing as a bad one-year contract. Paying him $17.8M doesn't bother me in the least.

On the flip side, maybe they have a good read of the market for him and could get him for less — he only made $11.75M last year, so I guess it's unlikely he gets a big pay bump for a half a season in which he had his lowest OBP as a Yankee. Honestly, I didn't realize the qualifying offer would be such a large pay raise until I just looked up his current deal. I just don't get the sense they intend to re-sign him at all, which would be disappointing.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I agree. And what's disappointing is that now you don't get a pick if he signs elsewhere. OTOH, it makes him a much more attractive FA.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

MILW marks -- I mean, fans. And I say this as a taxpayer still paying 20-year bonds on a county minor league stadium that has been demolished.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    sgreenwell likes this.
  9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

10. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I thought it was the opposite - that you *do* get a pick if you extend a qualifying offer. Isn’t that the point of it?

11. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Some fans think if the difference is between 100 MILLION and 110 MILLION, it would be nice if sometimes, players would stay with the team. Or is it that tough to live on only ONE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS?

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Some guys do stay with teams. Look at Brady. Or Curry.

lakefront likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted