1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-20 MLB Running Hot Stove Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Oct 24, 2019.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Meth-eny is the bullpen catcher for the Halos, right?

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Dagger

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Are you me for Halloween?

Fred siegle and TigerVols like this.
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Strasburg to opt out of contract.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Going to be an interesting press conference when Rendon and or Starsburg sign elsewhere.
    They can’t say they are leaving to go to a winning franchise and a chance to earn a ring is the most important thing. They can’t say the organization didn’t treat them and their concerns with respect.
    OTOH, chances the Yankees win another World Series before the Nationals is pretty good.

All they can say is that another team places a higher monetary value on their services.
    But if the Nationals can’t keep Rendon or Strasburg, they are fucked as an organization for the foreseeable future

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I look at those two like I look at Kawhi Leonard. They earned the right to call their shots. Brought the city a championship, go chase the most cash if you want. The organization and the fans should only applaud whatever they do

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Agree, especially if they end up on the Angels.

TigerVols likes this.
  8. heyabbott

As a fan of the name on the front of jersey, I root for my team to win today and be competitive tomorrow. The fan is the consumer of this version of entertainment and I don’t feel Obliged to cheer an off-field business decision that reduces my entertainment value. And the performer is not obliged to consider the consumer.

The difference between Stras/Rendon and Leonard is that Leonard was a 1 year vet of Toronto. The commonality is that Rendon and Leonard has no choice in their teams.

Stras was a free agent and the Nats took the risk on his health and Stras gave a discount for a long term contract in case he developed injuries. The contract laid off for both.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Yep, Strasburg should take less money to appease the fans. The same fans that have been calling him a pussy for years.

sgreenwell likes this.
  10. heyabbott

thats not what I wrote . I wrote that he was not obliged to consider the fans. I've seen Stras pitch 4-5 times in person including his 6 innings of no hit ball and a 14 strikeout game. As a fan I care as much about his financial situation as he does about mine.
    When I bought my Nationals before the playoffs I considered buying a Stras jersey but didn't think he would be here to wear it for opening day. Got a Scherzer jersey. My first jersey, ever, for any sport.

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Award finalist announced.

The MVP, Cy, Rookie, Manager finalists are ...

My picks:
    AL MVP: Alex Bregman
    NL MVP: Cody Bellinger
    AL CY: Gerrit Cole
    NL CY: Jacob DeGrom
    AL Rookie: Yordan Alvarez
    NL Rookie: Pete Alonso
    AL Manager: Kevin Cash
    NL Manager: Mike Schildt

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Yankees decline to give qualifying offer of $17.8M to Didi Gregorius, but they extend Chapman to 2021.

I'm surprised by the Gregorius move. I like Torres at 2B and Gregorius has been such a good SS for them. I guess they're planning to move Torres to SS and make LeMahieu the full-time 2B. That's fine, in theory, but their infield depth was invaluable last season. With LeMahieu locked in at 2B, that's going to leave a question mark at 3B. Do they give the full-time job to Urshela? Are they splitting it up between Urshela and Andujar? Will they make a big splash and go get Rendon (unlikely)?

I like the idea of keeping Gregorius, letting LeMahieu move around the diamond to give guys a day off and, if there's an injury, they're deep enough to withstand it.

Draft saved Draft deleted