1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Busch Light guy and the Des Moines Register

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Sep 24, 2019.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

2. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

No one outside Iowa cares about this story.

RAGBRAI will be just fine.

I can't think of too many entities where the leadership is ("was") more self-important than the leadership of RAGBRAI.

Doc Holliday and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

But why does the handling of the Carson King story bleed over to this bike thing? The employee couldn't talk about the story so why would he resign the as director of something unrelated? And what part of the story is he upset about, mentioning the subject's twitter comments or the writer getting canned because of his twitter comments?

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Because the "R" in RAGBRAI is Register's.

So it's easy to associate with -- even though the newscast and the bicycle ride really aren't that connected, from a logistical standpoint.

I have no issue with Gannett reporting about the former ride leaders bolting and, apparently, making plans a year before. They already had a foot out the door and, with the King story, decided to jump right away.

This could turn into a bizarre business civil war. RAGBRAI is a major brand for bicyclists, one with multi-year contracts. Are these businesses/sponsors going to pull out of this race for another race that might not have the same branding, number of cyclists or fans?

Another element -- and it's no small thing. Security and policing. Will law enforcement or even cities/towns have to "take sides" on this? RAGBRAI usually takes a variation of three different routes every year (north, middle, south). If a city agrees to be an overnight host for the New Race, will RAGBRAI blacklist that city in the future? That's a major economic impact for these little towns.

6. If anyone cares:

Ex-Des Moines Register reporter suggests Carson King shares blame for 'unfair' firing

7. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

> formerly a trending-news reporter

Honestly, he's better off.

8. That line caught my eye too ...

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I liked his piece in the CJR.

He is right about one important thing: his newspaper was unable to handle the blowback. I wish he'd been around someone who had the sense to tell him not to sign anything until talking to a lawyer

10. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

HIS EDITOR SIGNED OFF ON ADDING THE RACIST TWEET BIT TO THE STORY.

Shame on DMR editors for being such cowards.

HanSenSE and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  11. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

He was treated unfairly, but as someone said, he's better off. Leave newspapers in his rearview mirror as we all should. Get out.
    That was a great story by the way. He made some excellent points.
    I still say the editors made a big mistake in just tacking on the 3 graphs about his tweets from the past. Once the tweets were discovered, you either go for it and make the story about the tweets or don't mention them at all. Tell the Busch guy to expunge them from his twitter.

12. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

The DMR reporter is such a stereotype. Points finger everywhere else, doesn't stop to say he handled the whole thing poorly. Blames management, right-wing media - of course - and ignorant readers. He was chasing clicks and wanted to make himself part of the story. It backfired. Move on, take the L, stop blaming the subject when you read the room completely wrong.

Vombatus and cake in the rain like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted