1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-20 college football coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jlee, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Of course this is reactionary. Taggart was in trouble, and IMO the contract was the only reason he even got a second season.

Florida State will claim it saw slippage. Problem is, they refused to acknowledge that the end of the Jimbo era was when the slippage had begun.

The cupboard was supposedly bare when Taggart arrived. If that's correct, find one coach who was going to go in and turn it back into Florida State any quicker.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

This. This was never going to be a fast turnaround considering the Derek Bell imitation Jimbo did the last couple of years there. This quick of a trigger finger could actually do more damage than good.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I can't imagine how Chad Morris still has a job.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Anybody know what the biggest buyout in history is? Auburn balked at $32 million for Malzahn a year ago, and the president got whacked for balking.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Can you explain the Derek Bell reference?

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

As an Oregon fan I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about this.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

tapintoamerica likes this.
  8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Well, if former UA QB Ty Storey has a big game Saturday, the Hilltoppers may print his buyout check.

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Arkansas can't even be ahead of the others on firing coaches, either.

The CBS college football podcast has a great point, however. Arkansas runs a high-tempo spread under Petrino (before everyone else did) and had success. He's fired and they bring in Bert, who tries to turn it into Wisconsin with spread guys. Then they fire Bert and bring in Chad Morris, trying to run spread with running game personnel.

All while doing this in a division with Alabama, LSU, Auburn and Texas A&M.

That being said, RIP Taggart Florida State First Half Covers.

Neutral Corner and Inky_Wretch like this.
  10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I'd give Morris a third year, but I get why people would want him out now. Seven of his 17 losses are by a possession, so I think you could rationalize it. He had a good recruiting class for 2019 and I think it'd be good to get his own players to the point where they can contribute.

Considering the division, I don't know how you can expect anyone to just jump in and have immediate success.

Also, if he gets fired, he's going to get a pretty good job because his son is a four-star QB who is committed to play for him.

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Were my eyes deceiving me, or was Bert on the Patriots sidelines last night?

Inky_Wretch likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted