1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 Baseball Hall of Fame Class

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Spink Award nominees announced. Cafardo joins the two finalists from the past two years.

2. Della9250

Frick finalists announced

2020 Ford C. Frick Award Ballot

Joe Castiglione, Jacques Doucet, Ken Harrelson, Tom Hamilton, Pat Hughes, Ned Martin, Mike Shannon and Dewayne Staats.

Pretty good crop, well except for one of them

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Hawk Harrelson is the worst

BartonK and matt_garth like this.
  4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I’m on the fence with Mike Shannon. Sure, his voice has been synonymous with Cardinals baseball since the 70s, but he was always second banana to Jack Buck and in his later years he kind of became a caricature of himself.

5. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Castiglione is about as grating as it gets

6. Della9250

Modern Era Ballot is out

2020 Modern Baseball Era Ballot

Dwight Evans, Steve Garvey, Tommy John, Don Mattingly, Marvin Miller, Thurman Munson, Dale Murphy, Dave Parker, Ted Simmons and Lou Whitaker

Simmons should be a lock after just missing the last time. Hopefully Whitaker gets the support now that he is on a ballot.

Three names were added from the ballot two years ago when Morris and Trammell got in - -Evans, Munson and Whitaker -- and they bumped off Tiant to get one of them on. That's disappointing, because he has a better case that maybe half of this ballot.

7. Della9250

My preferred rank to get in:

Whitaker
    Simmons
    Miller
    John
    Evans
    Murphy
    Parker
    Munson
    Garvey
    Mattingly

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I'd vote for Mattingly, Miller, Murphy, Parker, Simmons and Whitaker.

Even as a Sox fan, I can't quite get there on Dewey. His career was so up and down. Garvey was really a light hitter for a first baseman, Tommy John just hung on forever, and Munson's career was trending down when he passed.

Of those, I'd press hardest for Mattingly and Parker.

If I had to guess who's getting in: Miller, Whitaker and Simmons.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  9. Della9250

The makeup of the committee is going to decide if Miller gets in. They didn't announce who the 16 members are this time, which I'm sure was due to the Baines backlash from last year.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Yeah I was a wannabe labor lawyer but even stepping back front that, how do you not recognize the impact that Marvin Miller had? It’s not like he was one of many agents at that time; he took down the Reserve Clause with Curt Flood THEN proceeded to organize the union and create the modern Owner-Player relationship we have today. Without it, the players are still some menial paid players , look at what minor leaguers are paid.

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Marvin Miller arguably had more impact on the game than any single person during the last 60 years. ... he arguably had as much impact on it as Babe Ruth and Jackie Robinson. There is a category for executives and pioneers, and not only shouldn't it have taken so long for him to even have gotten on the ballot, he should have been the biggest no doubter ever when they made him eligible while he was alive. Yet somehow he wasn't elected. ... but one year he was on the ballot, Bowie Kuhn, whose lunch Miller ate, was elected to show just how much MLB controlled the ballot and how petty it could be. At this point, the only reason that Miller shouldn't be in is that he wrote to the BBWAA while he was still alive saying he didn't want to be included on the ballot anymore. So I supposed you could say that to honor his wishes, he shouldn't get in via the veteran's committees. But I don't know how a museum that purports to tell the history of the game, and focus on the pioneers who had huge impacts, doesn't honor him with induction. It's just a joke.

sgreenwell, qtlaw and HanSenSE like this.
  12. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Sweet Lou, Simmons and Miller
    Whitaker and Simmons, who grew up in Southfield, would be a big deal for Detroiters

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted